Problems with sound server

aze

Hi all!

I have a creative pci 128 bits sound card.

The problem is I constantly having trouble with sound server:

1 - the soundserver is unable to support multiple instances playing sounds

2 - the soundserver is constantly busy

[root@192 System]# ./armyops-bin

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

what means full duplex and network transparency on KDE control center?

How do I fix those sound server problems? May I use autosuspend option to soundserver?

Thanks everybody

ok, everybody say me that. but i don´t like to be the user, because somethings I want to do I need to be the root (permissions). so i think when I run every program as root I wont find any problem with permissions. but it dont ask my questions :cry:

you really shouldn't get into the habit of running everything as root. Quite apart from security concerns, you have a good chance of hosing your system by a single bad move.

But for now, try

$artsshell terminate

I think you have to be the original user. This will terminate the soundserver. Then try running the program.

do you log in as root from the login manager? I hope you don't. Quit being root and then do

artsshell terminate

if the soundserver is being used by the normal user, this should work.

I don't see why you have to be root constantly. When I'm running normal apps. I never feel the need to become root. It's only when I am making some changes to the system.

soundwrapper makes sure that the sound output of a program goes through the sound server - or something like that; I don't know much about this myself... 8)

What you can't do is access the sound device from more than one user. If you log in as a normal user, then the sound device is used by this user. If you then switch to root, who is another user, root won't have access to the sound server (another reason to stay non root :P) unless the normal user terminates the sound server. Multiple programs can access the sound server at once so long as they are run by the same user.

Full Duplex is something about having the system deal with sound input and output simultaneously. It's something you need if you want to record what is being played through the sound device. I think ...