boot hangs with acpi=on

Guest id4398

Guest id4398

Hello,

I have Compaq presario, AMD2400+. When i try to boot the laptop with acpi=on , it hangs. When i try to run acpi or acpid from shell, it give me "no ACPI support in kernel, /proc/acpi not found"

I installed the linux from mandrake mirror sites, version 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk.

Also my cpu fan run a very fast speed, making my laptop very hot in 15-20 minutes. Any suggestions for this?

in var/log/kernel, i found this is on of the log files

"Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.

Found and enabled local APIC! "

Does APIC and ACPI have any conflict? I do not boot with noapic.

I am a newbie and this is my first time with linux. please help

thanks in advance

Also my cpu fan run a very fast speed, making my laptop very hot in 15-20 minutes. Any suggestions for this?
lawsonrc's toshiba did this and it was keventd. I compiled his kernel after editing a file for keventd in the kernel-source. Much easier just to install the updated kernel.rpm but at the time there wasn't an update yet. This is a known issue with laptops (legacy free bios) and the default mdk kernel with 9.1. Installing the new kernel should take care of this.

[EDIT]also, I have to boot ML9.1 with noapic and acpi=off, but I can do that because it's a desktop, so I can use apm.

Did you verify, as I suggested in your other thread, that acpi and acpid are installed and set to run at boot?

Edited by bvc

Guest id4398

Hello bvc,

Thanks for the quick reply. Have no what "keventd " is. Sorry i am totally new to linux.

Regd, you suggestions to verify acpi and acpid are installed on my machine. Whenever i try to pass acpi=on to kernel it hangs at boot.

i am only able to boot up if i pass acpi=off. When i run acpi or acpid it gives me error "No ACPI support in kernel". I believe the ACPI support is built in the default mandrake linux 9.1 kernel. Is there any way i can know whether acpi /acpid is installed on my laptop.

Thanks

Yes, in your other thread I mentioned the command but I guess I should have specified-->to open a terminal (xterm, aterm, Eterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, rxvt)>and type;

rpm -aq | grep acpi

Or, use the serach feature in the Software Mgr. in MCC.

ACPI is in the kernel but will only work if the kernel is told to use it with the ....=on/off kernel command in the bootloader. Starting it from the commandline rarely works....it's one of a few cases when a reboot is necessary in linux :wink:

hello bvc,

Sorry for getting back late. I ran "qpm -aq | grep acpi" . It gave that acpi and acpid are there. But when i try to boot with "acpi=on" it hangs. I tried numerous times, but it always hangs with "acpi=on".

Thanks

are acpi and acpid checked to run at boot in mcc>System>DrakXServices?

are you telling lilo 'acpi=on' from mcc>Boot>Drakboot or manually editing lilo.conf and running lilo -v? The mcc way doesn't stick...do it manually.

in /etc/lilo.conf

append= acpi=on

save the file and run from a terminal as root;

lilo -v

Hello bvc,

acpi and acpid are not checked to run at boot in MCC (cuz it always hangs when they are checked).

I am using grub, at boot up i edit the command arguments to add "acpi=on". When ever i add "acpi=on" like this at bootup to grub boot loader, the laptop hangs. I will try again after modifying grub.conf file to include "acpi=on".

Thanks

Cool! Grub!

With grub just highlight the linux line and press e, then highlight the kernel line and press e again. Move the cursor to the end>ad a space>acpi=on>hit Enter>press b.

BUT, if acpi and acpid are not running at boot, this will not do you any good. Have you considered compiling acpi into the kernel instead of as a modules (the default)? It's realy not that diddicult and you can't screw up a sys that's not usable anyway because of your cpu prob.

Hello bvc,

I tried that, i did put acpi=on on grub, but the same thing. It hangs.

I read on other thread in this forum to use 2.4.21.0-25mdk kernel source to recompile the kernel. 0-25mdk is supposed to have acpi support built in.

At the moment i have 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel.. Do you think use kernel 2.4.21.0-25mdk would be good idea or compiling acpi in the present kernel?

Also, as i am new to linux, please let me know how to compile acpi in kernel if i have to.

Thanks

Hello bvc,

I think the acpi support is in the 9.1 kernel but as a module. How can i activate the acpi module (using modprobe or insmod), without actually to recompile the kernel? Is it possible?

Thanks.

Yes it is, and as mods. You might be able to modprobe them, but like I said, without acpi/acpid running it's pointless. I'm in win98 rt now, but you'll find them somewhere around

/lib/modules/kernel<version>/kernel/drivers/acpi (I think)

You can start and stop the services as root;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=7448

service acpi start

service acpi stop

....etc. Then

modprobe <mod_name_w/o the *.o, just the name>

List all that are needed at one time;

modprobe mod1 mod2 mod3 mod4

Keep in mind this may get sticky because you'll have to stop apmd b4 starting acpi/acpid. You can do it in one command;

service apmd stop && service acpi start && service acpid start

• 8 months later...
Guest YannisC

If you are using Mandrake 9.1 then the whole thing with ACPI can be fixed by overriding the DSDT table of your laptop. This may sound hard-to-manage procedure, but I can tell you, it's really straight forward.

I have done it on my Presario 2100 and it works perfectly! I managed to turn ACPI=on and work without having the Fan problems.

I suggest that you go through Markus Gaugusch's page to find out how to do it.

The actual DSDT table for the Presario 2100 can be found on Berke Durak's page.

If you do not have a Presario 2100, you can search the online database for your laptop's type on the original ACPI page on this url

For more information about what's DSDT check out

this url

BTW -- at some point you will read something about patching your kernel so that it can load the DSDT from the initrd file without the need to recompile the kernel -- I did not do this since Mandrake 9.2 includes the patch.

Hope this helps...