Gimp 1.2.5

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

I have Mandrake 9.1 which came with The Gimp 1.2.3. How do I update to The Gimp 1.2.5? I uninstalled the version that came with 9.1 and downloaded gimp-1.2.5-5mdk.src.rpm hoping it would install properly (putting a shortcut in the K menu etc.) except I couldn't find it anywhere. There were no errors during the rpm install but there was no shortcut and I even tried searching the hard drive but all that was found were the old config files left behind by the old version. Can anyone recommend what to do?

Thanks..

Guest mahiles

I already tried running it from the console and it didn't work.

A file with src in it such as gimp-1.2.5-5mdk.src.rpm needs to be rebuilt to a usable rpm (or so I thought) to install.

If that's so, how do I do it? Would it be easier just to download the one for i586?

probably so. I had trouble installing the 1.2.5 rpm I found for some reason... so I installed a developers version instead (1.3.16).

To rebuild it use console and this:

#rpmbuild --rebuild gimp-1.2.5-5mdk.src.rpm

It will place the built rpm package in something like /usr/src

You will probally need to install some other packages to do this tho (like rpmbuild).

Guest mahiles

[root@localhost Documents]# rpmbuild --rebuild gimp-1.2.5-5mdk.src.rpm

Installing gimp-1.2.5-5mdk.src.rpm

error: failed build dependencies:

perl-PDL >= 2.4.0-1mdk is needed by gimp-1.2.5-5mdk

[root@localhost Documents]# urpmi perl-PDL

Everything already installed

[root@localhost Documents]#

confused.. :oops:

Guest mahiles

Ok then does anyone know where I can get the latest developer version ( 1.3.18 ) in a rpm file? I've looked and can find older developer versions but not the current one..

Hey, hope you have better luck with that one. Just tried here and ended in dependency hell. Version 1.3.18 wanted to take out half my drive to install... same as 1.2.5 wanted to do... once I figured out it was looking for an updated perl-base rpm.

I don't want to practically reinstall almost everything to upgrade one app.

The exact one I had no trouble installing was 1.3.17-3mdk.rpm found at the above cooker site. If you try that one, don't forget the matching libgimp file.

Might have been easier to compile the one found at gimp.org, but then again, I would have to install 200 megs of kernel sources and developer packages. :cry:

Guest mahiles

Just tried installing version 1.3.18 and I also got a very long line of dependencies. Not only that but according to urpmi half of them were already installed :oops: So yeah I might try downloading 1.3.17 instead.. All this much trouble and all I wanted to do was update the one program!