MD 9.0 installation fails......can't boot.....

Guest Polardude

Guest Polardude

Wow....

I confirmed it...... Both of my cds that I burned came out perfect! I took the linux distro to work and loaded it onto one of the desktops. It installed with no problems, 3 times in a row. So, the cd drive in my laptop is faulty. All I can do is to install via LAN.... I will get back to ya.....

This topic is officially CLOSED!!!!!

When I get back to u with the results... I'm gonna start a new topic.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!

LINUX RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hey guys. I am having the EXACT same problem on my AMD Duron box, except it's not a laptop, and the CD-Rom is relatively new and pretty reliable. Everything seems to install okay until I get to the point where it asks me for the 3rd CD. With 2 minutes left in the install, it seems to be copying and installing the kernel sources and headers, and then when it appears to finish, it tells me that some pretty important stuff was not installed and that my CD-Rom or the media may be faulty. Then it dumps me back to the software selection screen. As if that's not nutty enough, if I eliminate any software requiring that 3rd CD, it kicks me the SAME error message after installing everything from the 2nd CD. And so on, if you catch the pattern.

I used these SAME CDs to do a very clean install on my Athlon XP box, so I'm baffled at this point. Does anyone know what the issue here might be?

Also, as I have now screwed up my MBR, I don't seem to be able to boot into Win2000. I do have the "mythical" Win2000 bootdisk, but it simply puts me into DOS. Does anyone know the DOS command (for fdisk, I think) to restore my MBR so I can boot into Win2000?

I'm thinking I will try the HD install at this point, and bypass the CD-Rom business altogether. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

--Akshun J

Guest cwbl1200

Hi,

I have experienced similiar problems.

My specs are

AMD Duron 1ghz

128 ddr sdram

17 gb maxtor hdd

gigabyte mboard

My installation of 9.0 hangs also during installation of pkgs.

So what would be the ideal way to fix this problem? I hate unsucessful installations. :(

I saw something about turning UMDA off? Whats that and how do I do it? And will it solve my problem or do I have to do something else? Sry, Im a newbie to Linux. :?

thx!

gigabyte mboard

try pressinf F1 at the first install screen and type

linux mem=xxxx (your memory)

I'm not sure how it works, because I notice you also have 128 ddr sdram? So I don't know if this will resolve your prob.

You do the others the same way;

linux nopentium

linux nopcmcia

linux ide=nodma

linux pci=off

There are many more, and I've tried to find a site that list them all and haven't yet. It's probably in the kernel docs or somewhere on my harddrive, but I'm too lazy to look.

You might want to post a New Topic.