updating to 9.2 beta

Guest SnOwFoRcE

Guest SnOwFoRcE

I've installed 9.1 with currently all new versions of open office, nvidia, evolution and so on.

now I want to update to the 9.2 beta, what will happpen to my currently running system? will the 9.2 installer update only newer stuff or completely remove anything.

sorry never made a linux update

thx for your help!

A beta is not a production machine distro. It has problems, sometimes major problems. Some of your favorite programs may not even function. Do not do this unless you intend to report problems through the bug reporting system. (we are not that system.)

Upgrading to a beta is not advised; you should install it as a new installation. Better yet, make an experimental partition and install it along side 9.1, giving yourself the ability to boot into either one. :wink:

someone posted a tentative timeline in another thread, maybe everything linux. Seems like it was late september for the final.

Guest SnOwFoRcE

thx for your replies, I know this about betas I used 9.1 beta a time ago...

but when I update to 9.2 final will my settings and programs be overwritten?

If you set up your partitions with at least a /, /home, and swap partition, and store your "keepers" in your /home partition, your personal settings will remain intact. The reason is that it is not necessary to reformat the /home partition during an install.

I keep copies of my /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf files there, as well as game saves and non mandrake program rpm's. (like Nvidia driver installer) The /usr directory does get overwritten in an install, so programs need to be reinstalled.

The altenative is to use the upgrade option, which is really dubious at best! :roll: