shell script that kills another running script?

Guest chotie

Guest chotie

Hello!

I am trying to find out how to kill a running script with a script.

I have tried a little myself so fat but it doesnt work as it should.

==================================

var = ps ax|grep anotherscript.sh

# this line will get the process number of "anotherscript.sh"

kill var

# here i will kill the process "anotherscript.sh"

==================================

However - this does not work and i am not sure why.

Am i doing anything wrong?

Thanks for listening.

Br,

Christian O.

chot@home.se

Here is my test. It works with xmms. Just replace xmms by the process name of your script.

#!/bin/bash

var="$(eval pidof xmms)"

if [ "$var" = "" ]

then

echo "XMMS is not running"

else

echo "XMMS is running.  I'm gonna kill it;-)"

kill $var

fi

HTH

MOttS

Why not put that script on the remote machine (the one you want to ssh to) and execute it every X seconds/minutes/hours/days in a cron job?

OR put the script on the remote machine (with sftp or ftp) and login to this machine with ssh to execute it once in a while..

What do you wanna do exactly?

MOtTS

Just a couple of suggestions to add to Motts' posts:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=33870#33870

The question posted in thread which I've linked above is very similar to yours... well, not exactly, but you'll get the idea: killall anotherscript.sh should do the trick ;)

To answer directly to your question, the problem is the syntax, you'll need to learn a bit more the basics of variable assignments (remember that bash is very strict on it because it is not only a programming language but it is also a command interpreter, so spaces have meanigs)

[side note]

You don't need to give .sh extensions to your shell scripts, that is a bad habit that should be avoided. Even more if, lets say, your shell scripts becomes more and more important for your system mainteinance. For example, foo.sh is a shell script you wrote to perform some task, then that script becomes critical for your daily usage and hence is called from cron, from a bunch of scripts, and/or from command line ver often. One day you reaized that that script has to be updated and you think that python, perl or maybe C will perform better the task the script does than bash: What will you do? rename it as foo, foo.py, or foo.pl and then search for every place from where it is called to update/fix the name?

It is better to don't use arbitrary extensions. Just an example: /usr/bin/run-parts in Slackware is a shell script, while in mandrake is a C written program and both perform exactly the same task, so a user from any of both distros can call it w/o taking care of how or which language was used to write it.