LFS: Some details i need help with

Hi everyone.

Well i have some stuff that i would like to see working or a bit modified, so im going to enumerate them and dont be afraid of answering only one ;) its good enough for me!

1) I have several "permission denied" problems, and dont get to solve them with the chmod command. for ex. i get the command not found for poweroff, reboot, shutdown -h time and such.. in the other hand, i get Must be superuser with the /sbin/poweroff and i cant get sound working when im in normal mode (user), it gives me this:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Permission denied

thats for the first one! i really would like this one working!

2) Keeping in mind this is a LFS system:

i would like to update, uninstall and move files around, i usually do the ./configure --prefix=/usr thing so i get everything installed in the /usr dir and not in local or others, as these are compiled from source i was thinking if that means its "kept" in its own directory, i mean, i know it creates some links and docs over there and over here, but the main part where is it?? What i want to do, is to update, for example Gaim, do i uninstall the previous version (and how do i do that?) and compile from scratch the new one, or can i update it somehow (not Gaim in particular, i mean in general, but i know there are exceptions like Mozilla who have some sort of trouble with previous versions so its recommended to uninstall them).

In short, is there any way of uninstalling source compiled soft and/or update it?

3) I installed XFree4.3 and i have Fluxbox-0.9.4 running as my WM. i really like it, its fast and all. but i have this... "issue" (i dont call it problem becouse im starting to like it!) with my desktop --i think its something with my XFconfig-4--, its like a virtual 1024x768 when the display its actually 800x600 so i have to scroll with the mouse to see al the screen... i hope someone gets the idea... i have two questions for this thing:

a) Im starting to like to have 1024 of space in my desktop, but what i dont like is that i cant maximize any window without getting it "fully maximized", i mean, it expands trough all the virtual desktop, what i would like to do is to have a "partial maximize" wich would expand it to the current 800x600 screen im seeing --got it? ;)

B) if the above cant be accomplished how can i make it a normal desktop when i want to? (i mean having the option of switching back and forth)

4) while im working at making X-Wvdial work, i have a few problems with executing wvdial from a console, the first and most upseting is that i have to be root, or else it will start saying : cant connect to /dev//ttySX several times until i do a CTRL+C, i think this one is related to the audio one...

and the second is, that i cant close the console from where i connected (wvdialed), so, how can i make it dial without me being root and also, someway i dont have to keep a console around..

I think this is something to start with eh? well, i know its a lot, but i really appreciate your help!! .. "im all ears"..

1) I don't ever use those other commands, i use halt. you can use it as all users.

just use: halt

Sound:

I installed alsa without a problem. Is that what you installed? Try recompiling it.

Does /dev/dsp exist? has it been removed? Sound worked for me....

3) As for the uninstall, you might noy be happy! You need to keep the original directory where you extracted the source and installed from. In future use checkinstall. and rpm, you can then just rpm -e gaim even though you installed from source. If you deleted the directory of source, just recompile and reinstall and either keep the directory or use checkinstall. A good place to put these directories is /usr/src/

To find checkinstall, do a search on the board, there was a thread not long ago.

4) XFree86 - I got a basic XFree (640x480) going on mine so I knew I was able to do it then shamelessly copied my mandrake config.

And X-Wvdial - Is it just a typo or did you mean to have 2 slashes

/dev//ttySX

James

sound (assuming you're using devfs):

By default, the ''users'' group is not allow to use sound. To change that, add the following lines in your /etc/devfsd.conf file (the second one is only needed if you are using alsa):

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660

REGISTER snd/.*  PERMISSIONS root.users 660

Alternatively you may consider creating a new group called ''audio'', and adding permissions only for this group instead of the ''users'' group. This will allow you to easily permit or deny sound usage by adding/removing the user from the audio group.

no sure if that's your problem but check and make sure those two lines exist.

Thanks everyone.

1) poweroff and reboot are softlinks to halt so, what i actually cant use is that.

2) i dont kept the sources so im not able to use the "make uninstall" , what should i delete (manually i assume) before compiling/installing the new version? i mean where do i find the installed program... or should i just go on and compile the new version and install it over the old one?

3) I didnt installed the Alsa drivers becouse when i was root i tryed sound and worked so i stayed with the " dont fix something aint broken" thing, but i know its better and all... i will try to install it then. But it should work without it, it does as root so.

About /dev/dsp it does exist and i checked all the permits and are all correct. but it keeps saying

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Permission denied

so i dont understand whats the problem.

now, tyme wrote:

By default, the ''users'' group is not allow to use sound. To change that, add the following lines in your /etc/devfsd.conf file (the second one is only needed if you are using alsa):

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660

REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.users 660

Alternatively you may consider creating a new group called ''audio'', and adding permissions only for this group instead of the ''users'' group. This will allow you to easily permit or deny sound usage by adding/removing the user from the audio group.

This is in Arch as you sayd, but in this system i dont have the devfsd.conf, also, im in the "audio" group, wich is the /dev/dsp group. so i dont get whats going on.

4) About Xfree i think im going to send an email to the list at beyondlfs to see if someone knows how.

I had a typo, its one slash /dev/ttS0

but the problem is with Wvdial, not with the X, im trying to make work an X front end for wvdial, but the actual problem is that if i type wvdial as normal user i get this:

[code[

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53

--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy

[/code]

Its not a problem with the port becouse i su to root and run wvdial and works ok.

2) i dont kept the sources so im not able to use the "make uninstall" , what should i delete (manually i assume) before compiling/installing the new version? i mean where do i find the installed program... or should i just go on and compile the new version and install it over the old one?
compile the new version and install it over the old one unless it's a small app that you can find all the files. Consider installing and using checkinstall. XFree doesn't make uninstall though I'm sure there's a command to do it. I remember seeing "uninstall" in the README or docs somewhere.

Wvdial is not made for users, only root :roll: ....to change that

chmod +s /usr/bin/wvdial

chmod +x /usr/sbin/pppd

chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

and make sure that

/etc/resolv.conf

/etc/ppp/options

/etc/ppp/resolv.conf

/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial

are readable by users, also making sure that you are part of the group "users". Diff distros call it diff things but you also need to add yourself to a group pertaining to

dialout

dial

or the like, in /etc/group. From another post of mine here

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5503

dialout:*:20:bvc

HEY!!

Well, im really happy, thanks all, now, wvdial works for normal users and i think the sound problem was that you NEED, no matter if you give "all users" read and execute perms, to belong to the "audio" group. so thats it.

The only thing is missing, its the partial maximize, so i dont have to scroll trough the desktop to see the maximized window. but it seems noone knows how, and i dont know how to search on google or anyware about this one, im writing right now to the BLFS mailing list to see...

Hi, ok here it is

XFConfig-4

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"

Screen        "Screen0" 

InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

Section "Files"

RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"