fragmented drive preventing install w/ XP

Guest chisquare

Guest chisquare

I'm trying to install 9.1 on my laptop, which already runs WinXP. I want to keep WinXP and install Linux on the free space on the Windows partition. I have error checked the disk and defragmented it (several times now), but the DrakX installer tells me that my disk is (still) too fragmented. This can't be an uncommon problem. As a newbie, I'm hesitant to try to create/alter partitions without explicit instructions. What's the solution?

Xp places immovable data on the beginning and the end of the partitions that it creates. This way, microbrains prevents disk utilities from working with its partitions. Defraging with windex does not alter this "fragmented" way of setting up a partition. The only hope is to use unpartitioned space on the drive. When I set up my computer with xp, I had to repartition the entire drive with a good partition tool, so that xp would only reside in the space I gave it. Windex has simply found yet another way to force other software vendors to work with them or else! :roll:

If you opt to attempt manipulating xp partitions, back up your data!! :wink:

Disable your pagefile. Reboot. Defrag. Use Partition Magic to resize the XP partition, leaving enough unallocated space for Mandrake. Re-enable the page file. Install Mandrake.

The reason I say Partition Magic is that I know it will do it. Other third party partitioners may work, as well.

/germ