Championship Manager 4

Guest Linz

Hi all!

Has anyone here tried to install CM4 with wine? I just read some faqs at the CM4/SIgames site that it should work with wine in linux, but I haven't seen anyone report that it works.

With enough patience, I'm sure you could get anything to work with Wine.

You could, alternatively, hop on over to http://www.transgaming.com/ and see if the game is compatible with WineX, which will make your life much easier.

You are going to hear stories of how evil WineX is, bla bla.

I agree with them, but if you just want to play your game without booting into Windows and with minimum effort, go for it.

I already have winex (yes, I'm a sinner :roll: )

The reason for asking was that I had not purchased the game yet...now I have. It installs and starts ok with winex, but the matches are terribly slow running.

Oh well...guess I'll have to reboot to windows to play it afterall.

(As I do want native games rather than play them with wine/winex, I have emailed sigames about developing games that can natively run in linux too...have to try)

Have you checked the forums and games pages on www.transgaming.net? I think you have to a subscriber to access them though. A friend of mine had problems with a game running in WineX and managed to tweak it so it ran fine.

My opinion is that if you use WineX, you may be damaging the future of Linux gaming, but if you boot into Windoze to play a game, you are damaging the fututre of Linux as a whole.

Good luck on writing for a port, it is an important thing to do, but most companies seem to ignore these requests. This will change.

cm4 is very slow anyway, it requires a much faster computer than the older versions, theres a particular setting thats on by default that does a full 2d simulation of each match in all your active leagues iirc. Try using their support forum, it'll take a week to be confirmed but they're very helpful

tuxgames had a cm petition going, dunno how far it went