Wireless Network Issues [solved]

yet41

Apparently you can use b43-fwcutter to extract the drivers. I have not used this app so it might be better to wait for a response from someone who has. I don't know if ndiswrapper would be able to use the Acer 80211bg file and strip the driver from it. If you're feeling adventurous and would like to try the file is available for download from here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/128303 It's the 80211bg.zip file.

I just sat down, and went through the b43-fwcutter guide. I followed all the directions without any problems. But I've got question.

What do I do now? :)

Still no wireless. I went through the setup again, but it's the same old stuff about ndiswrapper shows up. Do I need to point ndiswrapper at another driver? I don't see a .inf file from the broadcom stuff I downloaded.

An edit: So I've used 'bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware bcmwl5.sys' to extract the firmware. I think that worked fine, and I think that was a step in the right direction. But still, what now?

Edited by yet41

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is having similar problems, I managed to get my wireless working finally. I used the official Broadcom driver. You can get it here:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

It's suppose to work with BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4321, and BCM4322. But I can only vouch for 4312. And someone discusses their experience with it here:

http://jomcode.com/fadhil/?p=59

I had tried this driver earlier (I think I commeted about it in a previous post), but had gotten several compile errors of this form:

/home/scott/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:934: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type

/home/scott/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:934: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type

/home/scott/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:934: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast

/home/scott/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:934: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’

It was very easy to fix the source code so that everything works. I think the problem is there's a header file somewhere that is used but is out of date. But I easily fixed the problem by editing wl_iw.c. On each line where there is an error, I just added as a first argument in the function call the variable 'info'. I did this with each such error, and was able to compile the code.

Thanks everyone for all the help!