GAIM 6.0 in Mandrake 9.1

Jza

Hi I have been triying to get the latest gaim (6.0) with no luck. Can anyone help me giving me some tips.

Basically is the ever so persistent dependenci problem, this time it was perl which I installed a perl-base X.8.1 (I think?) which was on the mandrake dependency for gaim 6.0. however when I install it, it told me that it needed an older perl.

So I download that version it asked me to (X.8.0) however, to my surprise I already had it. So I end up in a problem where I had the older perl but the newer didnt recognize it. So forget about GAIM.

I end up downloading the rpm from the Mandrake 9.1 CD and keep using my old GAIM 5.8.

I hope someone might give me a hint. BTW I was downloading packages from Mandrake Cooker.

PIII 192RAM 60GB Mandrake 9.1

Well, the way I installed Gaim 0.66 on my coputer was to add texstar to my urpmi source. fubar::chi wrote a very good tutorial on how to do this here. There are both graphical ways and command line ways to add sources to urpmi. After you have done that, open a terminal window, su to root and type

urpmi gaim

Urpmi will download and install any dependencies you may need.

Hi, well the tutorial was great, no problems there.

I did however run into some trouble installing gaim, it told me there was a conflict with the libgaim-remote that I installed on my previous attemp, luckly I just went to the history site where I got it form and did a simple rpm -e <package> and re-installed everything.

One question though, when I am going to install, urpmi (or startext) tell me its a bad file so I wonder if its just because it doesnt check the integrity.

Well anyway it worked find at the end. Thanks a lot, I learned how to use a really powerful tool.

Just tells you that there is a bad GPG signature on the file. It will be just fine, the file is not bad. To fix that problem (for texstar's RPM's) download this file then open a console, cd to the directory that you downloaded the file to, su to root and type

gpg --import pubring.gpg

and press enter. After that, you won't get the message about bad signatures anymore.