3D Test: Linux vs Windoze (Nvidia and ATI)

sud_crow

Although its not as complete as i would like to see,

and that (as always in such tests) Linux runs in disadvantage

becouse its never updated from the base install

thought Win always gets its SP1 installed,

and games are always "optimized" for windows,

however, Linux (and its drivers) does quite a good job...

lets hope it only gets better...

Link: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video_...slin/index.html

There is also no mention of whether the Linux versions of the games are being run from a GUI and if so, which one?!?! That can greatly determine the outcome. Plus, Linux can be optimized to be running fewer tasks in the background, to make the test more appropriate across the various distros. RedHat tends to be very heavy in terms of what is running by default...

My experience is that games see a 20% increase in framerate by running in Linux. I see even 10% increases in running OpenGL games in WineX.

Yes, i thought that too, but well, at least they made a comparison involving Linux, its something!

I think im going to send an email, with two thing in mind, congratulate (maybe it will happen more often) and make some recommendations... if there is anyone who would like to do the same so we actually get listen... you are welcome...

Here is the review again:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video_...vslin/index.htm

and this is the authors emaill: (i might modify it if the author its not the person to contact --in case they tell me so if they reply my email)

Kirill Kochetkov ( kochet@ixbt.com )

If you play games or like to see hardware reviews, look at the review, think what can be better, and email them telling if you find it useful and what would you change to improve it.