Firewall really needed?

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

Do I really need to set up a firewall? Would you recommend it or is it a waste of time? If you would recommend me using a firewall which one and how do I set it up?

Cheerz

:lol: Windows needs it linux doesn't, it's that simple (for your setup). I will say that those new to linux tend to have a lot of unnecessary daemons and stuff running simply because they don't know what they can or can't remove, or at least stop in mcc>System>DrakXServices (ML9.1). There's also no reason not to go ahead and setup the tiny firewall in MCC, and if you use cups run the 'configure cups' and tell it not to listen to the internet. I also stop X from listening to the WORLD but aru read that it's not an issue.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...hlight=nolisten

Does anyone have the link to the site that put a default install/no firewall/ML8.2 up as a server and announced to the world to hack it? If I remember correctly it took more than 2 weeks and over 2000 attempts b4 someone got in :lol: :P...not an easy target :wink: