Gentoo question

Guest KShots

Guest KShots

Hello, as some of you know, I'm trying to squeeze all the meager performance I can out of my old P-200 MMX w/ (now) 128 megs EDO (4 DIMMS). I'm wondering if Gentoo may be able to squeeze even more out than Debian has/had. I'm going to be using it as a firewall/router (this part doesn't need performance), web server/ftp server (this would be nice to have REALLY good performance with from CGI scripts doing a ton of work), mail server (no biggie), and dedicated half-life server :twisted: . I know that pretty much any distro can do all of these things, I'm just trying to pick the right one this time (I tried Mandrake last time, and while I was satisfied/impressed with its performance once it was installed, it took over 24 hours at the keyboard to get through the installation process and to a shell). Distros I've tried: Mandrake, Red Hat (same prob as mandrake), and Debian (installs in 1/2 hour from internet and 2 floppies).

So far, Debian's the best bet, but I'm now curious about Gentoo. If the performance would be great enough, I'd be willing to sit through a VERY long compile time to get things working nice & smooth :). Any opinions?

I don't know how much more Gentoo would speed up a P200, compared to Debian. (I have one and thought about using it for distcc, but that's another topic) :wink:

You might also look into running Slackware. Slackware has alway's made a good server, stable, fast & not all the bloat you would get from RH/MDK. That's just another thought.

gentoo probably won't make a single bit of a difference when compared to debian on the p200. i think to get better perfomance out of this system your best off with any distro that you can streamline (only things running are things you need) and using non-cpu-intensive things like a light WM and the such.