StarOffice6.0 Install Problems

lawsonrc

I have a StarOffice6.0 disk which I have used to install StarOffice6.0 in Windows and Red Hat8.0, but I can't get it to install in MDK9.1

I have su'ed to root in a terminal and gone to /mnt/cdrom/linux/office60 and then I've typed in

./setup

but all I get is:

bash: ./setup: Permission denied

I want to install it for use for two users.

I even went into the KDE Manager and added root as a user (with the stern warning and the red desktop), and tried to install it from there, but had the same problem.

Again, I wish to install it for two separate users.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard L.

Well, I never got a reply, but got local help and here was the solution:

I had to edit the /etc/fstab and on the cdrom line I had to add "exec" to allow me as the user to execute.

I then had to install it as a User so that it would not go into the .root directory. This way, it created a directory for StarOffice6.0 under /home/richard.

Inside the Program directory of the above, is a file called "fromtemplate". I right-clicked on the desktop >new > link to application and in the "execute" tab I made a path to

/home/richard/staroffice6.0/program/fromtemplate

(I'm at work right now so I'm writing this from memory and hope it is accurate -- or accurate enough.)

I then chose the icon I wanted. When I click on this desktop "shortcut"/link it opens up a StarOffice window that allows you to choose among writer, calc, impress, etc. or to choose from a template.

When I tried the "soffice" file, it would open up just Writer, so the name "soffice" is very misleading.

Hope this helps others who have had trouble installing StarOffice6.0 in Mandrake.

Cheers,

Richard L.

You might not have had to modify fstab. You might have been able to get away with just trying sh setup.sh

I remember I had that problem with one of my first Linux games.