debian install question

Ok Im a mdk9.1 user considering trying Debian. My question is which and how many iso disks do i need? In their installation guide they show different Flavors of install, do I need to get all of the Flavors or can I get by with Vanilla and compact?

Ok Im a mdk9.1 user considering trying Debian. My question is which and how many iso disks do i need? In their installation guide they show different Flavors of install, do I need to get all of the Flavors or can I get by with Vanilla and compact?

That depends on if you have broadband or dialup?

Broadband = Disk 1, everything else through apt-get.

This will help you get it up and going.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016&page=1

Step 2 (The Welcome Screen)

Once your machine boots, you will be presented with a screen that says, "Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0!" There are other install options available, which you may read about by pressing , but I am going to only go through the easiest one; which is the safe install using the 2.2.20 kernel. To begin the installation, simply press the Enter key.

On this step, I would put in

bf24

so it will install with a 2.4.~ kernel instead of the 2.2.20?

I'm not familiar with the terms 'vanilla, compact" when it come to debian, but I can tell you that debian3.0 Woody cd 1 was sent/given to me and I upgraded to unstable with apt-get/synaptic which took (200MB of sys stuff) and another (200MB of toys and gnome2.2.2). I'm on dialup and I did it while sleeping in about 4 days 100MB a night....no prob. :wink:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

I'm not familiar with the terms 'vanilla, compact" when it come to debian, but I can tell you that debian3.0 Woody cd 1 was sent/given to me and I upgraded to unstable with apt-get/synaptic which took (200MB of sys stuff) and another (200MB of toys and gnome2.2.2). I'm on dialup and I did it while sleeping in about 4 days 100MB a night....no prob. :wink:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

Oops, sorry. I didn't mean you couldn't do it with dialup, I know someone that is. :wink:

Like bvc said, I would just go with disk 1 and go from there. If your going to go to Sarge or Sid, you wont want to install all the old software from the other disk anyway.

See I keep hearing about this WOODY debian but cant find it. Not on their website or at www.linuxiso.org . Is this just the 3.0 release name, ie- mdk9.1 bamboo or rh9.0 shrike? Thanks for the tips however, this helps alot.

Woody is 3.0r1 or what ever it is.

So woody=stable....rt cybrjackle? I think so cuz I had a lot to update. You can get the Unofficial unstable cd iso to help minimize this though......and from what I can see, if they are what I think they are, you can get all the unstable iso's, like 5 or 7 of them. You'll be downloading anyway so either way I guess. All of the pkgs that I'll had to apt-get are in my archive. I can put them on a cd and add them to apt's sources. After you are updated and have about all you want, all you'll ever do is apt-get dist-upgrade anyway. :wink:

So woody=stable....rt cybrjackle? I think so cuz I had a lot to update. You can get the Unofficial unstable cd iso to help minimize this though.

Yep, comes with fun stuff like kernel 2.2.20 or 18 and kde 2.2.2? I would really only run woody for a mission critical server. If it's home, go with Sarge(testing) or Sid(Unstable), but you will find many Debain users run SID and say that it is just as stable as RH or MDK.

Right DOlson :wink:

Besides, why dnload 5 or 7 iso's at 5 to 700MB when you can just dnload 400MB like I did. Debian has sooOOOooo many pkgs you'll never even come close to using half :lol: .....think about it....7 iso's :shock: ....AWESOME! These will still be available though apt (internet). :twisted:

Thanks for all your help. After doing more research and downloading the first two iso (so Im covered right lol) I have decided to.................. install redhat 9 over my mandrake 9.1. I don't think Im ready for a deian system just yet. I mean Im having trouble figuring out redhat from mandrake. I have the internet up and running, nvidia gforce drivers running smoothly, but still trying to find things on this system, like control panel (which I loved in Mandrake).

I will someday load debian however, I'll just do it on a samll harddive, not one Im sharing with my wife and daughter.