How to install software

Guest SpaceCadet

Guest SpaceCadet

Ok I finally got Linux running and it works awesome! I love it, I'm just sorry I didn't get it installed and running earlier :x I do have a couple of questions about set up though. When I use my mouse scroller it doesn't scroll my page up and down but when I click on the button it acts as a 3rd mouse button. I have set MouseDrake to a standard ps2 scroll wheel mouse. Anyway, I tried downloading Opera web browser and it downloaded this kind of package and I don't know how to install it. Actually I think it did cuz I double clicked on it (how do I set up single click btw) and it said "installer bla bla" and then it disappeared. So how do I do a search to see what software is in my system? Thanks in advance for any input :)

=================

edit: I guess I should have mentioned that I am on the KDE desktop

=================

Guest SpaceCadet

Ok my mouse is a logitech optical scroll mouse, and I would prefer to use the USB because the ps2 port is kindof hooped on my MB. Right now I am hooking the end of my mouse up to that green USB to PS2 adapter that comes with most usb mice :)

p.s. I also have a microsoft optical usb scroll mouse do u think that one would work better?

Guest SpaceCadet

ok well I figured out the mouse thing :) Using the logitech usb :D As for the Opera, the filename is:

opera-7.11-20030515.4-shared-qt.i386.rpm.part

Guest JaseP

the

.part

indicates that the download didn't complete. You will need to download it again. To install RPMs (the installation package type that Mandrake, RedHat, and SuSE all use) you must either use the Software Manager or use rpm from the command line (command line being the better choice). Alternatively, you can use one of the other package installer apps, but I don't find GNOrpm to be as useful.

typical syntax for an rpm command is:

rpm -ivh /directory_where_its_located/filename_exactly_as_listed

PS: you typically install most packages as root (su to root and then install... ).

For one simple rpm gnorpm is great, but probably not installed by default. First you have to be root.

su <hit Enter>

enter roots password <hit Enter>

say you put the opera rpm in /home/username/download. You'd open a terminal (xterm, aterm, Eterm, rxvt, konsole) and

cd ~/download

or

cd /home/username/download (same thing)

then you can (if you want)

ls

to verify it's there, and

rpm -ivh opera-7.11-20030515.4-shared-qt.i386.rpm

to install. Or, as mentioned above

ls ~/download/

and

rpm -ivh ~/download/opera-7.11-20030515.4-shared-qt.i386.rpm

The bare minimum is

rpm -i

SEE:man rpm

or

rpm --help

This is the norm for linux commands for info/help

man <command>

info <command>

<command> --help

If you seem to have probs with the shared version of opera get the non-shared. Sometimes the shared requires editing scripts to get it working with java etc....

Guest SpaceCadet

phat ok that worked :) Thanks you should write tutorials in the book hehe :)

Ok and now that it's installed, I typed in "whereis opera" and this is what I get:

opera: /usr/bin/opera /usr/lib/opera /usr/X11R6/bin/opera /usr/bin/X11/opera /usr/share/opera /usr/share/man/man1/opera.1

I went to the /bin folder and double clicked the file 'opera' and it loaded the program. I also went to the /lib folder and did the same. Opera also loaded, but what I want to know is which of the two files is better for launching opera with and how do I uninstall it? I don't need to uninstall it atm but my hd space is limited, so I will need to know how to uninstall stuff as I am gonna be installing a whack of programs :)

I typed in "whereis opera" and this is what I get:  

opera: /usr/bin/opera /usr/lib/opera /usr/X11R6/bin/opera /usr/bin/X11/opera /usr/share/opera /usr/share/man/man1/opera.1

Which is why I prefer

which opera

which will tell you

/usr/bin/opera

Almost all your apps are in /usr/bin.

Uninstall?

rpm -e <pkgname>

or better

urpme <pkgname>

pkgname in this case is opera and not version stuff that comes after the pkgname. Seriously look into urpmi, urpme, and urpmf as they will help you greatly. Opera is not on the cd's but galeon (for gnome) is for example. If you typed

urpmi galeon

you'd get a list of galeon and it's dependencies asking what you'd like to install. You can then copy and paste them with the mouse and mousewheel button and do with all the deps

urpmi galeon mozilla mozilla-whatever

...and so on, and urpmi will pop out the cdrom and tell you what cd's to insert and press enter. It's wonderfully fast in comparison to the the gui Software Mgr (rpmdrake).

if you were referring to me and the tutorials....thanks, but I don't have the time (no, don't look at my post count :wink: ). The FAQ section was an idea that I reintroduced and was finally implimented....as anon suggested, check it out.

Guest SpaceCadet

I dunno I unplugged my mouse from ps2 and put it in the usb port. Nothing happened and then at that point I had no mouse, so I decided to use the Logitech mouse instead of a microsoft mouse, rebooted again and it came up with a thing during boot up that it detected my changed mouse config so I set it to USB wheel and it worked :) I tried that before but I think it was because I was using a microsoft mouse it was all wierd the scroll wouldn't worked and when I clicked the scroll wheel as a button it opened up a separate page.. I dunno.. it was wierd.

Guest SpaceCadet

ok sweet. Thanks for the info fellas :) Any ideas as to how I could get my FTP server happening now? lol That is basically why I installed linux, for it's speed and stability as a server, and right now we need majour ftp services heppening or I will have to uninstall it (remember business purposes :D)

Easy way to install opera:

1- Use home icon on taskbar to go to the directory where it was downloaded

2- Right-click that file

3- click Software installer

I made an icon on the desktop, so that with one click it will both connect (I have dial-up) and start Opera.

I am using Opera 7.20 B1

Its nice if you like the M2 mail. :wink: