OpenOffice Calc crashing regularly [solved]

neddie

Ever since I upgraded to 2008.1 last week (I know, cutting edge), OpenOffice Calc crashes repeatedly, often within a few clicks of starting it back up again. It's completely unusable. Any idea why this might be? Even just scrolling the window with an empty document causes it to crash!

I tried starting it from the command line but it just complained about missing java runtime (I have Sun's 1.6 installed from the repos) but no other information.

If it's a problem with Calc itself, can I downgrade to the version I was using before with 2007.1 ?

Edited by neddie

I had the same problem, but I was able to find the answer in the OpenOffice forums. For some reason, at this moment, I cannot access those forums, and obviously I cannot remember what I did. :woops: I do remember that it was something easy to take care of!

Have you tried removing the config file from your home folder already? I once had the same hapening when using OOwriter and after removing the config-file, it worked well again.

It's a fresh install so my .ooo-2.0 directory was new. I tried renaming it and restarting Calc, but it still crashed a few seconds later.

About the themes, those posts just mention Gnome, but I'm using KDE. I haven't got a particularly dark theme but I could try and select another one to see if that helps... :unsure:

Very weird. I selected the Mandriva theme (which wiped out my desktop background and other things), and now OpenOffice doesn't crash. Very odd indeed.

It's not like I'd scoured kde-look for some obscure combination of themes and theme managers etc, I'd just changed a few icons and font sizes and window decorations (from the ones already installed in Mandriva 2008.1). But apparently that was enough to upset openoffice.

Guess I should be even less adventurous when customising the look of my system... :unsure:

So solved I guess but now I don't like my icons or font sizes...

You really think the Mandriva guys, or the KDE guys, or the OpenOffice guys would be interested in solving a bug from 2008.1 ? :unsure:

Anyway I can't remember exactly what I'd changed or what to, and when I changed the theme to "Mandriva" it reset everything. I've twiddled with a few things but OpenOffice still works (for now) - so alas I can't put my finger on what broke it. But certainly something to do with the colours / fonts / window decorations.

On the plus side things are looking ok and running ok now so fingers crossed and problem solved! :thumbs: