KDE MIDI configuration with ALSA problems...

Guest gawron

Hi!

I just installed Mandrake 9.0 on my Thinkpad 600. After playing for a moment with OSS sound drivers, I decided to switch to ALSA (snd-cs4236 module). ALSA drivers are really much better - sound quality is better, and APM support is there (i.e. I can suspend a notebook while sound is playing). Everything works now excep:

- KDE Mixer KMix shows strange sliders - there is no output volume slider, only FM, PCM, Mic, Line, CD and Gain. And the FM slider does not work. But the ALSA mixer (Alsamixergui) works without a problem

- KDE does not see MIDI outputs (and it was working with OSS drivers) - in KControl->Sound->MIDI there are no entries (despite the fact that Kcontrol->Information->Sound shows two MIDI devices), and KMid does not produce any sound. In KMid configuration there are two devices (both named - ALSA device), and when I load MIDI file it starts and blocks /dev/sequencer (I think) - but no sound :( However if I try running playmidi -e (or playmidi -4) from console - it works, and plays MIDI file beautifully.

So - any ideas??? Where to look???

Thanks in advace :-)

Piotr Gawrysiak

pgawrysiak@supermedia.pl

Guest alan.hughes

Seen the same problem on my sound card (Creative SoundBlaster Live! using the emu10k1 module). The ALSA project page (http://www.alsa-project.org) noted that there was a bug in the driver regarding MIDI, so I assumed that that was the problem. However there is no bug noted against your card, so I guess my assumption was wrong. Could there be a problem with KDE, or the KDE setup in 9.0?

Anyone else seen this problem?

Hmmm. I got one more message from someone exactly this problem - not solved :( alas - on TP600 but with Suse 8. Seems to be something related to KDE setup then???

Piotr Gawrysiak

• 2 months later...

I use LM9.0 with GNOME 2.0 and cannot use MIDI as well.

Before, LM 8.2 with KDE and OSS, everything was working.

I want to use alsa also to use external MIDI module with serial line.

With LM9.0 I also cannot see now my sb16 among the system hardware components list of Mandrake Control Center. But it work for audio (MP3, Ogg, ..).