rpmv taking up 70% of CPU!

Guest Heru

First off, what is rpmv? What does it do? There are no man pages on it.

Secondly here's some more details.

I just woke up to find my computer accessing the harddrive alot, I got worried. So I went in and checked KDE System Guard, and sure enough my system was hitting swap(which it never does) and was eating up around 90% of the CPU. I checked the process table and then I saw the culprit, rpmv, being run as root(having obviously started when the computer did) sucking down most of my ram and 70% of my CPU. I killed the process with fixing the problem permanently not in my mind.

Some specs of my computer:

Mandrake Linux 9.0

700 mhz Celeron

256 megs of ram

32 meg NVidia graphics card

connected to a router and networked with one other computer

I didn't know where else to post this question, if it is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

But what is rpmv and what does it do? Is it important? And lastly does anyone have any idea why it was being so resource hungry?

Hmm.. searching in google yield me this:

http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/pipermail/luau...ust/009852.html

Basically, rpmv is a program to compare the installed files to the files that is supposed to be installed according to rpm database. A comparison like that should take tons of processing power and memory considering how many rpms installed in a typical mandrake installation.

Well that explains why it was taking up so much processor power and ram.

But I have to wonder why it was running at 6:45 in the morning. It was also running as root, it either started up with the computer 6 days ago(and didn't do anything until now), or somehow started with root permissions(would cron jobs do something like that?).

Oh and one important bit of information about my system that I left out. I have the security set to high. Could that have something to do with it?