Camera on USB

hea

I have tried everything but the only respond from the system when plugging in the camera (Olympus C-2040Z) is the following in /var/log/messages:

Oct 28 22:56:22 aopen kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 4

Oct 28 22:56:25 aopen kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Oct 28 22:56:25 aopen kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)

Oct 28 22:56:25 aopen kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 5

Oct 28 22:56:28 aopen kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

Oct 28 22:56:28 aopen kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5 (error=-110)

Its not much. Ive searced through forums and tons of web pages trying to get a solution. I dont get any sda-entry under /dev, i do not get any /proc/bus/scsi device, no luck with gphoto2. USB is running. If anyone has something to lead me further i would be very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had to "su" to root and "rmmod dc2xx" before using gphoto2 with my Kodak dc3400 camera. I can never get gphoto 0.34 or whatever version is the older to work because of a mysterios pemission problem I am unable to resolve. KDE's camera:/ will not work either, test always fails.

===Alpha13

Thanks for replys, but, well i cant give up. This is for me a question of getting totally rid of Windows, as transferring pictures is the only thing i still use a Microsoft product for :) . The Kodak way dont seem to apply to Olympus as far as i can see.

I have done some more reading since last and found that i have to actually makethe /dev/sd* entrys. They dont just pop up (well i am new on this) I did the following:

mknod /dev/sda b 8 0

mknod /dev/dsa1 b 8 1

and so on. This is obviously neccssary, but not enough. Listing these devices gives:

brw-r--r-- 1 root root 8, 0 Nov 9 12:02 /dev/sda

brw-r--r-- 1 root root 8, 1 Nov 9 12:02 /dev/sda1

brw-r--r-- 1 root root 8, 2 Nov 9 13:26 /dev/sda2

Do they look OK? I have seen other listings containing the same but with a 'disk' in each line. Dont know if its important.

All this said i still have a problem with the camera 'not accepting new address' with the following errormessage 'error= -110'. Is there a list of errormessages somewhere on the system?

Finally made it!!! The answer was at the www.linux-usb.org under faq: Som hardware interrupt conflict between PCI and USB at my AOpen AK73Pro motherboard. Solved by turning off the BIOS option: "Assign IRQ for USB". Not interesting to the majority of you i guess, but if you have problems with USB, linux-usb.org will obviously be a site to visit. :wink: