Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 314458

iphitus

A friend thought it would be a good idea to show me this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314458

I think not!! LOL

And these lines caught my attention:

""Disk partitioning software may cause instability with the Windows XP installation. ""

LOL. I bet they put things in to stop people from doing this and installing Linux.

""Microsoft does not support the installation of Windows XP on partitions manipulated in this manner. ""

SO we can't get support for the unstable, support requiring, Windex OS if we have Linux.

James

hehe, MS stating in so many words that Windows is not acutally an operating system. Just a program that simulates some OS functions. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I disagree.

The full paragraph states:

Note that there are other ways to remove the Linux operating system and install Windows XP. The preceding method is included in this article because of the assumptions that the Linux operating system is already functioning and there is no more room on the hard disk. There are methods for changing partition sizes with software designed for managing partitions. Disk partitioning software may cause instability with the Windows XP installation. Microsoft does not support the installation of Windows XP on partitions manipulated in this manner.

Which to me means that when resizing partitions for WinXP, this may lead to problems for WinXP and they can't support that. Normally, the partition program should support any such problem (partition magic or whatever).

Note that if partitions don't start and end on the exact boundary, and thus are badly defined (which happens, it happened to me with partition magic), this may give problems, depending on the file system.

It may well be that NTFS is such a picky filesystem.

So to me this is not fud from ms against linux, it's just being clear about creating a crappy system. Honesty about being second best wrapped in hard to understand words.

No linux fud.

Just plain old MS software -- instable and problematic due to the user, not the system itself (yeah, right) -- and no warranty...

Then again, who would ever need any info on that page?

Rare are the stories of those who moved to linux and moved back to windows.

They do make the following point:

NOTE: Windows XP and Linux can coexist on the same computer. For additional information, refer to your Linux documentation.

Which is fair enough. It's also quite reasonable that MS wouldn't want you to do this, but its good that they point out that you can