How do you auto login without X-windows?

Guest dmiller.org

Guest dmiller.org

I have successfully installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on an old PC without X-Windows (it didn't have the space!).

When the PC fires up, I want it to auto login to a user. (I know this is possible when you have Mandrake Control Centre but I don't have this installed on this machine).

So the question is how do you set up auto login from just the command line?

Thanks

David

I think that just maybe you can do an autologin, since you can start any process as root, just put/add it in /etc/rc.local, you'll have to figure out how to put it onto the console.... tty1-6 or 0-5 are the standard consoles...

Use sudo to attribute the terminal to a normal user (you don't want to autologin root... )

By the way, I came across something really nice: TWIN

It's a text mode (console) window manager. Meaning, on the console you can have several windows, mouse support etc...

Seems that may be useful to you.

Where is SuperBashAruuuuuuuUUUUUuuu

That's right. Aru won't only tell you how to autologin, but launch half a dozen of your favorite apps with a tight little menu taking arrow keys and enter keys to browse through their myriad of options, and pop open the cd tray for you....

ok, so he might not tell you, but he could do it!

I don't think this is possible (not sure 'tho)

I'm surprised at you. We're using Linux here and you think something's not possible! :x

:P