kernel recompile

I would like to run..soun apps like ardour and can't wait till the next kernel :).....

So, I want to download the latest kernel source(does it include the security updates ??) patch it with low-latency and the pre-emptible patch so I can use the jack-audio-kit,,(it's called something like that...) and compile the kernel for my athlon-thunderbird...Maybe I'll make a srpm out of it, so I can install it mayeb also on my neighbours system who would like to try linux.

Someone see any bad things before I start..things to watch out for...it will be the first time I reompile my kernel..but it will be by srpm maybe :).....

maybe I fetch the srpm...., but does it include the Desktop tuning1 and 2?

Is swap-prefetching already in the standard kernel...? I s it a replacememnt or somethign new....if new, couldn't it cause more disk-io, slowing down your operations....if it guesses wrong, or has soemone already tested it and saw a speedboost?

I suppose the kernelsource of the multimedia-ones are available, or not?? Maybe (if they don't conatin it) I could patch them with these desktop tuning patches....and the scheduler..someone tried the scheduler???)

thanks....

when your rebuild the src.rpm it will create a kernel-source rpm, which you could then further patch, configure, and recompile to your liking (after installing it-you'll find it in /usr/src/linux, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated the source-code of Mandrake with the updtae-wizard and decided to patch that code (after backing it up :))....

I've done some research and decided to use the followin options:

-o3

-fallow-single-precision

-foptimize-sibling-calls

-fcse-follow-jumps

-fprefetch-loop-arrays

-march=athlon-tb (or something)

-mmmx

-m3dnow

I also want to use "-ffastmath", but the docs say, it can give some problems in certain cases.....but with the multimedia-kernel they use it I think....soem opinions about this..I still want to be able to run evrything properly...We're talking about the kernel here!!!

Some comments on my options?

Mu cpu (like mopst now I suppose) supports also extensiuons of mmmx en m3dnow......It's maybe not usefull for the ekrnel, but for other programs than..to specify in my file for srpm....Are there options for these extensions..or are they the same as -mmmx and -m3dnow?

Thanks....

Maybe any suggestions before I start????

I probably (or have to?) recompile my modules too (or don't I have to do that?/or preferably?). Any warnings here?

....Thanks

I tried to patch the latest Mandrake-source with the pre-emptible,....patch, but it gives soem errors...How do you unpatch it??? I have not used my good source, but a copy..but I want to patch the source!!!!! The patch is for the .21-version...., but I'll see....

Wher could I find the multimedia-src.rpm..... It seems mandrakeusers ftp doesn't have it....Can anyone provide me a link?????

I don't know which patches Mandrake applies...and I don't want to forget any patches they use...so I maybe try it this way...the unpatch command would still eb handy...

thanks for the help..