How to update mandriva without the use of internet

Guest Izel

Hello.

Can anybody tell me if their is a way to update the mandriva linux without the use of the internet?

I was just wondering if i can update it with the use of cd.

Sorry for the question if it seems to naive. Any ideas will be truly appreciated. thank you. :)

does it mean, i can update the mandriva using cds. :D

and as i am reading around the forum i happened to read about '.iso' for updating. I don't actually understand it. I'll try to read further and hopefully have a better understanding about the '.iso' thing.

but thank you so much for the reply. :) thank you.

Yes, it can be done, but it's not so easy. I don't know where you could get an updates CD from. Someone could make one if they mirrored all the updates and then burnt them to CD/DVD - as it's something I did a while ago when I had multiple systems. I mirrored the whole lot of mirrors available, which was well over 10GB - but that was when I had Mandriva 2006. I haven't done it since.

i've tried to do it but mandriva was looking for an internet connection. unfortunately, i don't have an internet connection. :P

by the way i am using mandriva 2007 (spring). how can i instruct mandriva to get/have the updates in a cd/dvd? is their a way to do it, if so can you tell me how. i'll really appreciate it.

oh, i've read that there is way not to delete the downloaded updates/rpm in mandriva. I was wondering if I added the code

{

post-clean : 0

}

in the urpmi.cfg can make it work on mandriva 2007 (SPRING).

thanks you. :D

Edited by Izel

Never use the update applet, because it's going to want to connect to the internet. What you'd be needing to do is remove all existing media, and add the CD or copy it to the local hard disk first, and then add this to urpmi. Then, just update after this. Then, each time there's updates, copy the CD again to the same place, ensuring all was as it was before and update again.

Please note, the packages on there own are not enough, you need the hdlists that provide list of the update packages as well. It's not so simple as just copying the rpms. The same would apply for example, if you had a Mandriva 2008.1 DVD and added this media to your Mandriva 2007 urpmi. You could then update with this to 2008.1. Of course, easier is just rebooting the machine and booting from the Mandriva 2008.1 DVD in the first place. But the options are there for one way or the other.