Kernel 2.4.21-0.18mdkt -> Kernel 2.4.21-0.25mdk

Hello there!

End-user most newbie to Linux question:

I just upgraded Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk to 2.4.21-0.18mdk a few days ago. That was easy. I just installed the compiled binary from a ftp site (on Mandrake Update only the source rpm was available). But then, I needed the source to compile Dazuko (for H+BEDV AntiVirus). Problem was during compile time, Dazuko said the sources installed didn't match the working kernel. So i tried to compile the source, using the Kernel HOWTO. Couldn' do it. Still, in the process I did find out I could change the EXTRAVERSION line in Makefile. And that did the trick, I think (it was 9h30 in the morning when I finally got it, so I don't remember it very well :roll: ).

Anyway, Kernel 2.4.21-0.25mdk is out there. But I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to compile the source again, or that the compiled binary contains another small difference that prevents me from successfully compiling Dazuko whit the uncompiled kernel source. Or that some problem may arise from those possible differences.

Thus, my question is: Does a single user Workstation really needs to upgrade the kernel? This one works fine.

Thanks in advance,

Does a single user Workstation really needs to upgrade the kernel?  This one works fine.

Thanks in advance,

The simple answer is, if its working fine, no you don't. Just keep an eye open for security updates relevent to your system.

The only reason I change kernels is for major bug fixes / security issues or new features. Otherwise, minor stuff doesn't phase me enough to bother with the hassle. If it ain't broke or truly need it, why worry? A workstation isn't a mission critical server, either, so...

You said you needed it for a virus scanner........... i thought those were windoze things......

:shock:

No i've seen em b4

Anyone ever met a Linux virus? Also have you updated the kernel sources?

You could always downgrade, i still use 2.4.21-0.13mdk, and it ain't broke!!

James

Hi James,

I use an antivirus with Linux for 2 reasons:

1- I could accidentally forward an e-mail with virus to someon else using windoze...

2- There are Linux virus... Did you ever ear of the Slapper virus for instance... Incidentally, a few months ago I bought a magazine called 'h4ck3r' which taught to make a linux virus... :shock:

About my kernel, everything looks fine with 2.4.21-0.18mdk, even though hte compiled kernel was pre-compiled by mandrake and not myself. It's just that some 'security updates' sound like chinese to me (note: I don't understand chinese...) :)

Still, thanks for yor reply...

there are maybe 3 or 4 linux viruses, and you won't get them in an email. they'll get into your system through security holes ;-) so keeping up to date with the latest security updates is your best defense (along with strong passwords).

i was going to say something else but go interrupted by a coworker and became confused/flat out forgot...:oops: