can syslog be periodically deleted?

chris z

just noticed that my syslog (/var/log/syslog) file is getting quite large. it's 5.6megs! can that be safely deleted every once in a while, or just cleared out using KWrite or another text editor? just wondrin' & trying to conserve drive space whenever possible.

Chris

Sure, you can empty it whenever, I use gvim or mc, but you can use any editor. Once I get everything stable and don't plan on doing anything weird, I disable all that useless stuff (mcc>System>DrakXServices). Not a good idea if you're on a network or worried about security though, which I'm not. :wink:

cool! thanks! :D time to start drinkin' now. 'tis a lovely Saturday here. now where did i put that gin???..............

Chris

Not that I know of, but you can change the times. This gets tricky because they're woven together and some can't run while others are. So in the true sense of 'at one time', no. You can use drakcronat

[root@localhost home]# urpmf --summary --description drakcronat

drakcronat:summary:Mandrake tool for Cron and At

drakcronat:description:Drakcronat is an application for scheduling programs to run in

the background. It is a Graphical User Interface to Crontab/Cron

and At (Unix system schedulers).

Drakcronat provides features for beginners as well as sysadmins.

to have more control of when though. Or edit the files yourself. Heh, when I had 9.0 totally optimized with a 600k kernel :twisted: I had it ALL (logging/daemons etc...) turned off and most uninstalled...by --nodeps :P . Like I said, not good for a network. I'm not going through all that again...it tain't twerth it :wink: