Kmail

synthecin

First of all I'm a big Opera fan. but......

I have been using opera's built in e-mail. But with so many issues with flash, I find myself starting to use FF a bit more often. That of course means if I want to check my e=mail I have to open opera again.

So I thought I'd try Kmail

Is this a good idea?

and how do you set it to auto check for mail and notify you?

Thanks Nic

I haven't tried KMail, but instead have been using SeaMonkey Mail 1.1.11 which is an update of Netscape Mail 7.2. I use SeaMonkey Mail in Windows XP, but SeaMonkey is available for Linux as well. You can open the mail application portion of the suite without opening the browser.

This is what I have been using for a number of years now (Netscape Mail > SeaMonkey Mail). For me, it does what I want and I have been very happy with it. My preferred browser is Opera, but many prefer the SeaMonkey browser to Opera or Firefox. If you have ever used Netscape 7.2, SeaMonkey is just like it (even visually), but it does have some added features and security updates. I like the fact that it has remained a stable platform for a long time now.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Kmail does all you want and a little bit more. I have used it for quite a long time without issues. I have tried others including Thunderbird, but if you use KDE environment then kmail just sits and keeps checking for mail at the interval you set.

I've never used opera mail, so I do not know what it does with html mail. I do not use kmail because you cannot write in html. Instead, I use thunderbird. With it, you can leave it on (as I do) and it will check your mail whenever you want (mine is every 10 minutes). You can also write in html.

Kieth

I just found this on the internet at http://www.computerbob.com/guides/why_i_wo..._or_kontact.php , which changes some of what I stated above.

KMail can display the HTML email messages that I receive. KMail can let me create new HTML messages to send to other people. But KMail will not let me reply to HTML messages without stripping the HTML out of them. In other words, if you send me an HTML email message, I can read it just fine, but when I reply to it, my reply won't contain any of the HTML that you sent to me. Everything that you highlighted or bold-faced or underlined or italicized or changed to a different color or enlarged will be converted back into plain text, along with any tables and bulleted lists that you sent me. In fact, not only does KMail insist on turning everything back into plain text, it also insists on adding colors to the different levels of replies.
Edited by Kieth