HyperThreading and MDK 9.1 ?

GuoJing

I just got a 2.4C & P4P800 Deluxe with HT support, wonder if Mandrake 9.1 supports that or I need to get an updated kernel ? This is what Intel recommends:

Linux* Operating System Desktop Based PCs

The following Linux operating systems include optimizations for HT Technology and are currently eligible to carry the Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology logo:

* Red Hat Linux* 9 (Professional and Personal versions)

* SuSE Linux* 8.2 (Professional and Personal versions)

* Red Flag Linux* Desktop 4.0

* COSIX* Linux* 4.0

I've tried the first two and didn't like them (too slow) and I'm not even aware that the latter exist :P

I've been searching Google but all I've found so far are flamewars on AMD/Intel and why some geeks think that HT is shithouse, or bugs with HT and older distro's, but haven't found any success story. Does anyone here have HT and Mandrake 9.1 working well ? :)

Guest boonders

Red Flag Linux is an asian distro.

HT is supported in the mdk kernel from what I understand. It should at least be supported in the multimedia kernel available from the contribs source. If not, its pretty easy to compile it in :)

The MDK kernels (0.13 and 0.18) always fail to compile with SMP support for some reasons (fail at cpufreq module). I got the stable 2.4.21 kernel and it compiled just fine. Now there are two more problems: audio and LAN... esp the former. I'll try wrestling with them for one more day ^_^