SSL Problem - Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.44

Guest Sabre

Guest Sabre

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for some help understanding how Apache 2 and Mandrake 9.1 work together.

My system default boot config is "linux-secure" which I believe is default, but which requires https:// in order to serve web pages. Therfore I have been booting in vanilla "linux" to avoid this. This has been working fine for several months.

Recently, after configuring DNS and virtual hosts, it doesn't matter how I boot, Apache seems to want to run with SSL enabled. All http:// requests respond with the following message:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.

Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.44 (Mandrake Linux/11mdk) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.0.44 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.3.1 Server at mydomain.com Port 443

I am at a loss as to how to disable mod_ssl. Mandrake and/or ADVX seem to have a built in or compiled configuration somewhere that I cannot find. There are standard apache configuration files, but the system does not appear to need directives from there in order to function.

(I discovered a similar situation with PHP in that there is no /etc/php.ini yet PHP still functions normally)

I would like to find a way to disable SSL so that pages are served up as http:// on port 80 as normal pages. I have had a friend who is very familiar with Apache 1.3 and Redhat, look at my system but he is as puzzled as I am.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the board.

Do you have webmin installed?? If so, go to webmin configuration, look for the SSL encryption module, open it up an you will see an option to disable SSL.

Guest Sabre

Thanks for the quick response, and for moving my post to the correct forum...

I do use Webmin and have been all through it looking for what you describe. I am using Version 1.090, perhaps I need to upgrade because I don't see an SSL encryption module.

On the Servers tab, I choose Apache Webserver and then Apache Modules, however mod_ssl does not display in the list.

When I look in Re-Configure Known Modules, mod_ssl is there but the box in unchecked. Checking the box and clicking the Configure button, doesn't change anything, and when I look in Re-Configure Known Modules again the box is still unchecked.

Even with all this, I don't see where any of the modules can be individually opened for configuration. Hopefully I am simply overlooking something obvious to more knowledgeable users, or I'm looking in entirely the wrong place.

Perhaps I need to stop Apache before these modules can be configured in the manner you describe?

Its not in the servers, apache modules.

Usermin Configuration

Webmin Actions Log

Webmin Configuration

Webmin Servers Index

Webmin Users

Click on webmin configuration, SSL module.

Guest Sabre

I may be wrong, but I believe that is only for encrypting the access to the Webmin server from the public internet, and doesn't have anything to do with the regular webserver...

"The host on which Webmin is running appears to have the SSLeay Perl module installed. Using this, Webmin supports SSL encrypted communication between your browser and the server. If you are accessing your Webmin server over the Internet, then you should definately consider using SSL to prevent an attacker capturing your Webmin password."

The way I understand it, Webmin is served by PERL and not Apache.