Typing letters become numbers on I-buddie A900

Guest andrew4558

Guest andrew4558

I need help from Mandrake guru to fix my keyboard

I installed different versions Mandrake 8.2,9.0,9.1 on my laptop I-buddie A900 . The problem is still the same. The weird thing is all characters of the right hand become numbers u become 4, i becomes 5, o becomes 6, j becomes 1, k becomes 2. All characters of the left hand is all right.

Mandrake boots Ok with text and graphical mode. I tried to change to French keyboard layout, it didn't change a thing.

Please help.

This is my email: phuocthanh@videotron.ca

On my laptop there is a button labled "FN", it acts a bit like caps lock only that when I press it some of the keys turn to numbers. Its there to emulate the number pad (amoungst other things). Not all laptops are the same but its worth a try.

actually, what's occuring is that on boot numlock is automatically turned on. (what mtwiedman says would imply the FN button was pressed down constantly, which I certainly hope it isn't ;-))

open up Mandrake Control Center, go to System, go into DrakXServices, look for one called numlock, turn it off and uncheck the "on boot" option.

p.s.-welcome to the board!

I'm not sure that's the problem. I just finished installing MDK 9.1 on my I-Buddie and I have the same issue. It sees the letters on the left of the keyboard as the number pad. Pressing the numberlock key simply locks out the keyboard from ANY input. I thought I could modify something from the Mandrake Control Center, but my root password obviously encompasses some of the letters that have been remapped. So, I can't become root, and I can't change anything. I'm PISSED! :x

I think I have to reinstall unless another kind soul has a better suggestion...

--Akshun J

akshunj: if you are having a keyboard problem, that may or may not be related to andrew4558's, please start a thread of your own ;-) (we try to solve on problem per thread :) )

Thanks!

Actually, the problem is identical to Andrew's. My same keys become the same numbers. And I'm using the same computer. I was just chiming in to say that the numlock suggestion would not work to fix this particular problem. Should I still start another thread, though?

--Akshun J

it happens to the best of us ;-) no biggie!

it's a common problem with laptops or laptop type keyboards. i have a keyboard on my desktop that is setup like a laptop keyboard, that's why i knew what the problem was :)

this:

Pressing the numberlock key simply locks out the keyboard from ANY input.
is why i thought it might have been a different problem than andrews ;-) obviously i was wrong!

corrected the quote tags...

Guest andrew4558

Tyme, you don't know how much appreciation I have for you. I spent weeks on internet to search for tip. I owe you a drink. Your tip works

Thanks again ,