Nvidia driver Install-no glx

zfalcon

:roll:

hello , i m new to the Mandrake and particularly to Nvidia things

but i have the following problem i installed everything you said in other nvidia post , followed what you was saying and it keep telling me GLX not found , in the /usr/X11R6..... extensions/folder i have a libglx.so.1.0.4191

in my config file i have the

Load "/usr ...../extensions/libglx.so"

and

Load "Glx"

both of the command when i shutdown the X server tell me that doesn t exist and Glxgears tell me no glx

so an idea ?

oh and when i start the .run files it tells me i don t have binutils

never had this problem before so if anybody know a place for a precompiled package for mdk 9.1 thx to tell me :D

i m using a standard Mandrake linux 9.1 ( i buyed the box for support Mandrake :oops: )

i guess that if i ll install the Nvidia drivers found on Nvidia.com for linux it will work but i 'll prefer have your opinions before doing something really stupid :)

thx

Zfalcon

Guest dardack

Generally Mandrake 9.1 (In my experience so far) installs both Xfree3 and 4, so the config you need to change is the /XF86Config-4, i did exactly as the readme from NVIDIA said and it worked fine, just download the .run file from nvidia, shutdown X (cntl-alt-backspace might have to do that a few times) log in as root, sh NVIDIA*, will run the setup program, finish that. Open the readme file usually in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*, it tells you to change a few items in XF86Config(-4), i just emacs it cntrl s for nv, change nv to nvidia, than cntrl s for modules, put Load "glx", looked for the dri and GLcore (weren't in mine), cntrl x s, cntrl x c, rebooted, came into X with the nvidia splash screen and accelerated drivers. and that's basically it. there are other options you can add in the config the Readme talks about but i didn't have to do any of those.

"load glx" should already be in your XF86Config-4 file. By default, Mandrake uses mesa for glx, but they do not work with the nvidia drivers, so the install program renames those mesa files.

Just for kicks, what vid card and which motherboard do you have?

Guest dardack
I think ctrl-alt-backspace will restart the X server though, you might want to open a terminal and type
su -c "init 3"

and give your root password

Really? Ctrl-alt-backspace worked for me. But coulda been a fluke.

ctrl-atl-backspace works if you start from a command line and use startx to bring up the GUI. usually, if you login graphically, ctl-alt-backspace will only restart the x-server and you'll end up back at the login.

statics way will work, all the time ;-)

yes i was talking of the XF86Config-4

i use the 4.3

the new drivers i installed ( the only that wanted to install the ones from nvidia refuse to work since he say don t find binutils :?

i used the .rpm i found on the Mandrakeusers Ftp

i m used to vi i change the thing and did correctly as i saw on the other config file put in the others nvidia thread

i think just the problem don t come from the config file

Mobo : Asus A7V333-X

grph : GF3 ti 200

and generally i use the gnome command close session to end X server it work better :D

the graphism look normal the only problem that i don t have any GLX loaded

Guest dardack
ctrl-atl-backspace works if you start from a command line and use startx to bring up the GUI.  usually, if you login graphically, ctl-alt-backspace will only restart the x-server and you'll end up back at the login.

statics way will work, all the time ;-)

Interesting. I'll need to write his down, because mine must of been a fluke than.

its ok i ended to find the thing by myself the .rpm found on the FTP of mandrakeusers seems to don t work properly and add a wrong libglx

i downloaded the binutils and libbinutils on the ftp.mandrakeusers.com ( the athlon XP ones)

and i installed the nvidia.run found on Nvidia.com

14956 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2991.200 FPS

17359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3471.800 FPS

17978 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3595.600 FPS

18018 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3603.600 FPS

17912 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3582.400 FPS

17964 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3592.800 FPS

16634 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3326.800 FPS

18501 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3700.200 FPS

18496 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3699.200 FPS

18520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3704.000 FPS

18396 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3679.200 FPS

18558 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3711.600 FPS

18514 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3702.800 FPS

18562 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3712.400 FPS

18396 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3679.200 FPS

18522 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3704.400 FPS

18563 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3712.600 FPS

18517 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3703.400 FPS

and it worked , sorry to have bother u for such stupid problem

other and last thing

my Xserver take like 5 min to start during this time i have a blank screen and nothing move

is that normal on a 4.3 xserver with nvidia driver or there is a problem anywhere ?

thx for your times :)

na its a XP athlon 2200+ running at 2Kghz

that why i wonder what the prob ^^

so there is something wrong around ^^

i will search for that ... and for a command for up the brigtness of the screen.... my screen brightness is at max and its still pretty dark damn