Can't start RTCW multiplayer

phunni

I recently got a new machine and last night I installed RTCW on it. Single player works fine but multi player just gives me a screen covered in random colours and my mouse leaves a permanent trail behind it. This computer has much better specs than my previous one which ran the game with no problems at all.

I have to restart X to recover from this.

I am using a ATI Rage 128 on a pentium 3 with 256MB RAM

glxgears gives me an average of 980 FPS (that's just now - it's previously been around the 270 mark, wonder why it does that)

I'd post error messages if I new where to find them

here's what you can do: (and I think it will work)

mpwolf > errors.txt

mpwolf is whatever the executable is to start mutliplayer wolf., i forget what it is exactly...wolfmp maybe?

the command i gave you would create a file called errors.txt and that would (hopefully) contain the errors, unless of course it doesn't close the file if wolfmp closes abnormally...I'm not sure :-/

The command simply creates an empty file. I tried performing all of the command in /usr/local/bin/wolfmp manually and outputting them to errors.txt - but no joy.

The bizarre thing is that when the screen goes funny I see snippets of pages I was looking at on the internet earlier and programs I was running earlier - none of which are running now.

This is eally odd - and frustrating as well since I'd love to play this game!