Calender sharing

Guest turi

I'm using KOrganizer. Syncs great with my palm. Very happy. My wife uses her own account on my linux machine. We use to run OutlookXP. Very nice program. The only thing KOrganizer doesn't seem to be able to do (other programs for linux?), share the calender part. All I want to do is be able to give her read/write access to my calender so that we both can edit our family scheduals and still sync with my palm. Any ideas out there? I know it's still in development. And I'm talking free here, or else I would get GroupWise.

I just typed a whole response and then got logged off!

Well, this is it in a nut-shell:

Use Evolution instead of KOrganiser, but whichever you use, make a symlink of your /home/yourname/.whereverthecalendaris in your wife's home directory and point the program at it.

Sorry, don't have enough time to type the long-winded version, post back if you need more explaining...

Sorry to hear that you were logged off. Why did you suggest Evolution instead of KOrganizer? I'll try the link idea. Does that mean then that only one of us can access it at the same time? Or just that it won't be live sync?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that you were logged off. Why did you suggest Evolution instead of KOrganizer? I'll try the link idea. Does that mean then that only one of us can access it at the same time? Or just that it won't be live sync?

Thanks!

Evolution is just a personal preference, I like it more than.... well, anything :roll: Try it out, maybe you will to.

You should both be able to access it at the same time, but I'm not sure, that will take some experimentation, or we'll have to wait for someone who knows to post. Obviously the perms on the directory/file will have to be the same.

This isn't something I have done, but it should work in theory... "It works on paper..." :plan:

• 2 weeks later...

Worked good. Except, I have to create a shortcut on my wife's desktop to the database file. What I would like for her is for her to open the KOrganizer program and it automatically opens the databse (last open databse) for her. Like it appears for me. So if you or anyone else has a suggestion on that, that would be great. Other than that, works great. Haven't tried multi-using, rather not know right now. I have other things I'm trynig to figure out. :P

Nevermind. I got it. I put the database file in home. Set up the appropriate rights, and it works like a charm. However, I'm having problems with rights now. Not holding. When I logout, and back in, it reset to what it use to be. And I'm setting them with Super User mode (File Manager). This isn't with Korganizer yet, this is another folder, where we keep our MP3's. Whenever she rips a CD and the program starts to encode, it finds it doesn't have thr right to write to that folder. Anyways, know why it could be loosing that setting, making it only temporary? Everything else I set, works, unless maybe the original owner has to be logged in and set it???

• 1 month later...