Debian and GRUB

DOlson, I mean someone.

I have Debian up and running, but LILO's menu wouldn't come up, just boot's into what ever kernel is there automatically.

So I installed GRUB. Followed instructions from here:

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=m...rtid=539&page=1

Everything looked fine, reboot and I get:

Error 15: File not found

Here is my menu.lst

## ## End Default Options ##

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

root            (hd0,2)

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda3 ro

savedefault

boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 (recovery mode)

root            (hd0,2)

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda3 ro single

savedefault

boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

/dev/hda1 = /boot

/dev/hda3 = /

I've tried changeing

root (hd0,2)

to

root (hd0,0)

also the line:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda3 ro

was originally:

/vmlinuz*********blahblahblah

But either way I've tried different way's to get it to work. Could reiserfs cause this?

I'm on sid too.

Anyone know why it breaks? I even went and made my own menu.lst file the way I have in Gentoo countless times and still no worky jerky. :wink:

P.S. Good thing for a boot floppy.

No nforce and I've tried the different configurations and I get's nothing. Currently I'm in Slack so I can burn some CD's iso's. :wink:

I'll go back to Debain when I'm done. It takes all of about 15 minutes to install so it wont be hard to switch back.

Just got to get those ISO's going!

your problem is that you are incorrectly telling grub where your kernel image is. if /boot is on a separate partition you cannot use /boot/vmlinuz grub does not understand that because it is looking for it in /. so you must pass it the literal path (essentially you are tricking grub into thinking that /boot partition is /). so if you /boot partition is say the first partition on your drive you must put:

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdax (where x stands for the partition number of where your root partition is)

your problem is that you are incorrectly telling grub where your kernel image is. if /boot is on a separate partition you cannot use /boot/vmlinuz grub does not understand that because it is looking for it in /. so you must pass it the literal path (essentially you are tricking grub into thinking that /boot partition is /). so if you /boot partition is say the first partition on your drive you must put:

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdax (where x stands for the partition number of where your root partition is)

Tried that. :wink: Currently I'm in SuSE because I had to get some work done and will go back this weekend and play with it.

Thanks you for your suggestions. :D