Installing from Source

tyme

Often when installing from source you run into issues during ./configure or make, complaining about something.o or somethingelse.h not existing. Often these packages belong to a something-devel RPM, and you need to install said RPM so that these files are present.

For help finding out which whatever-devel package you need, check this post: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6624 concerning finding packages containing certain files.

Explanation:

*-devel packages contain the source code for their respective binary rpms (regular * package). When compiling from source, programs sometimes require the code of other programs so that they can function properly. Hence, you need to install the *-devel package so that these files are present.

I know it probably wasn't mentioned because 'it's a given' to many of us, but for the sake of the newbie, I thought I'd mention that the first thing to do is

urpmf file_name

following your example it would be

urpmf something.so

this will search the rpmdb (database) in your sources to see if it's available from your current sources. If urpmf finds something.so in pkg something-4.i586.mdk.rpm, then all you have to do is

urpmi something

This will keep you from having to download from the net, and lessen dep hell, not to mention other probs that could arise.