with konqueror, can't see web page - streaming

Kieth

I just check both Firefox and SeaMonkey. They both have the exact same language settings, in the same order: en-us, en, it. I didn't check konqueror because I couldn't find the language setting. :woops: Then in SeaMonkey, I removed English. With only Italian in the language setting, I tried Yalp! again. This time the TV came on, and remained on for about 2 seconds before giving me the error that my IP was outside Italy. I then changed the IP address in SeaMonkey, tried again, and received the error.

Kieth

Definitely strange. If it was me, I"d just continue using Firefox. It seems virtually impossible to figure out where the problem is when all browsers report the same IP address, therefore meaning you do have an Italian IP address. I'd be tempted to contact these people and ask them to fix their site because it obviously doesn't work correctly.

Your system seems to be fine from what I can see, just their auto-detection is crap.

Actually, it really isn't that big of a deal that I cannot watch TV with konqueror. I'm having trouble with my system shutting down unexpectedly, and I think it has something to do with Firefox and Thunderbird. Thunderbird is usually open and makes a thunderclap sound when a letter arrives. That way, in case the kids write, my wife is ready to run to the computer and read their letters!! Often, I also have Firefox on, doing some research, reading MUB :P , watching TV, etc. Then all of a sudden, the system quits. It might have more to do with Thunderbird, as it has also happened while running Thunderbird and Kaffeine (while watching a movie). Anyway, before confronting that problem here with you guys, I thought I would try konqueror as my browser. This "problem" is more of a challenge to resolve that an actual problem.

Kieth

Is it a whole system crash, or just firefox? If just firefox, run it from a console window as a regular user, and then we can see the debugging info from the console window when it crashes.

It's the whole system. If I remember, it started happening right after I installed some regular updates. I think the updates were video and/or sound, but I can't remember. My video system is often a "pain in the neck". Anyway, it doesn't happen everyday, and there doesn't seem to be any common factor, unless it is Thunderbird. Is there a log I can get into to see what is happening. A few days ago, I was checking my old topics from a couple of years ago, because I remember that you were helping me solve a problem. For that topic, I read a message log - /var/log/messages to see what was happening to my system. This time I went to read the same log, but it is empty. Is there another log somewhere to read?

As far as Yalp!, right now I am writing this from my "new user" that ffi recommended I create. I then changed the kde language to Italian, although English is still listed. I rebooted kde, so that all the applications are in Italian. Then I tried to hook up to Yalp!, but it gave me the same IP error. As I mentioned earlier, it isn't really a problem, but more of a "curiosity problem".

Edited by Kieth

I just updated Opera, cleared the cache, deleted the cookies, added English as the preferred language, then went to the Yalp! site. I tried to watch TV by clicking on the TV icon, but it didn't let me, giving me the same error as before. I then canceled the cache and deleted the cookies again. This time when I went to the Yalp! website, instead of clicking on the TV icon, I went to another channel listed, clicked on that icon, and it worked! I closed Opera, re-opened it, clicked on the TV icon, and it still works. I guess the update did the job.

SeaMonkey, instead, still doesn't work.

Kieth