GeForce4ti S-Video to T.V. on Mandrake 9.1?

Guest sirtaldon

Guest sirtaldon

I want to know 2 things...

1. Can I use the s-video out on my Geforce4ti (already installed the latest nvidia drivers, they work great, btw) without also having any other monitor hooked up?

2. How? Or more specifically, what steps do I need to take to use the tv-out via svideo on my vidcard?

* Please bear in mind that I am not terrific at linux, yet. Give as much detail as you can, please.

Mandrake 9.1

nvidia 4363

Thanks,

sirtaldon

Guest sirtaldon

Yes, if possible.

If this can't be done, then I just need to know how to set up the svideo/tv-out. I remember that in Windows I had to run at a certain resolution and use the nvidia config panel to set it up, but I have no idea how to translate that info to my Mandrake desktop. I poked around a bit, but didn't find anything referencing the svideo/tv-out on the Nvidia card in the Mandrake Control Panel.

Will Mandrake automatically detect the tv as "other monitor", and if it does work, what screen resolution and refresh rate should I use. * I have a Sony WEGA, 36".

Guest sirtaldon

I found this at Nvidia's site.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20011119_6315.html

It doesn't give resolution or refresh rate, and the information is about Windows, not Linux, but...it seems that hooking up just an svideo cable to the TV with no other monitor should work.

If someone knows the right screen resolution/refresh rate for me to try, please post.

Thanks,

sirtaldon

Guest sirtaldon

I was able to determine, by the ever-popular method of "RTFM" :wink: that 1024x768 @60hz is likely the way to go. The resolution was in the info from the vidcard manufacturer, the refresh rate is a "guess" based on a spec in the Sony WEGA manual. It sounds right though.

I would still be interested to know if that is correct, and what other resolutions and refresh rates can be used, if any. I would also like to know if anyone else has done this, and how it looks.

Also, what should I select when it detects the TV as "other" or whatever it does at that point? Should I tell it it is a generic monitor or is there one I should specify?

Thanks again,

sirtaldon

I know from experience that you can have a tv only system.

If you have no monitor attached, the tv becomes the main display.

You could just install from there by the way.. ;)

BTW It is a pain if you ever have to do nasty stuff like configuring the network (so you don't have vnc, ssh or whatever)....

Try it, and post back your results, or if you get stuck. Basically, the nvidia readme that comes with the driver should get you there.

Guest sirtaldon

Okay, so it does work with pretty much no effort. Just plug it in, select the correct vid-input in your tv setup, and fire up the pc.

Tips for those wanting to try using ONLY a tv hooked up to the vidcard's s-video for tv-out connector:

1. If you are already using a monitor, go ahead and change your monitor setup and refresh rate to "Generic, 1024x768 @ 60hz". Older tv sets may only make it to 800x600. This will just make it easier on you when you hook it up to the tv. Check your tv manufacturer's website and manuals for info on supported resolutions, higher ones may be possible on newer/HDTV capable sets. My Sony WEGA looked best at the res/ref listed above, though higher setings were possible, they looked worse, with screen flicker and banding occurring.

2. Make sure you have antialiased fonts installed and are using them. Keep in mind that AA fonts still will not look as crisp as when you where using a CRT/LCD.

3. Be prepared to go back to your old monitor, or a "twinview" setup at most, since you will probably not care for the way it looks.

I have since gone back to my 19" CRT, as I prefer the higher resolution and refresh rates. Even using AA fonts, the text in my email and browser was just not good enough for me to want to use the tv as my monitor.

Thanks to those who offered me advice.

sirtaldon

Guest dardack

Hehe if i had seen this earlier i coulda helped out, i have a mythtv box so i just leave it hooked up to the tv full time, yea most older tv's need 800*600 if you want to tweak more you can get the nvtv program for nvidia cards, let's you turn the out on and off and stuff, really neat program, but sorry i missed this earlier, coulda saved ya some time.

*note to self, pay more attention damnit*