Programs?

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but where are programs kept? Windows had the obvious place of Program Files is there a linux version of Program Files? I've just downloaded Mozilla Firebird and need to know where to put it!

Thanks

I'm sure others can give you a fuller answer than I can but basically programs are kept all over the place when you install them. The executables tend to go in something like /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin & the docs might go somewhere like /usr/share/doc

Config files tend to end up somewhere in /etc

Are you using an RPM or a tarball or what to install this? Either of those will put all the files in correct place for you.

Here is some help for the Mozilla Firebird install:

1.5 How do I install Mozilla Firebird?

Strictly speaking, you don't install Mozilla Firebird. You just unzip/untar the compressed file and place it in a folder of your choice. Windows users: just run MozillaFirebird.exe. Linux users: just run the MozillaFirebird script. If you want shortcuts for Mozilla Firebird, you will have to create them manually.

Future versions of Mozilla Firebird will probably have a real installer. Until then, there's a great installer for Windows, provided by Seb Delahaye. This installer will create optional shortcuts for Mozilla Firebird and is available for both the releases and the nightly builds.

Firebird is a bit of an unusual install as it is not an RPM (that is the normal type of Mandrake program install. "redhat package management" is the system used.) Usually a Mandrake RPM does all the "work" for you and puts an entry on your menu. Then all you need to do is click it to run the program. But you have to do a bit more work with MozillaFirebird.

Just unzip the file you downloaded into a directory you setup (I used mozfirebird) and then from that directory you can launch it from a command line (Konsole if in KDE) by running "MozillaFirebird" and hit enter) or ./MozillaFirebird to be more specific. Then it will launch from Konsole in a few seconds.

Later you can use MenuDrake in MCC to setup a menu entry and put it into your GUI interface so you can start it from the menu if you prefer that. Open MCC (asks for your root pwd), then SYSTEM--Menudrake and you can put it on your user menu by choosing USER name and it opens the dialog window. The other browsers are in NETWORKING--WWW by default so I put it there. Just fill in the name you want on the menu (Firebird) and the directory and filename where the files were unzipped and save it. should be something like this (/home/username/downloads/directorywhere fileislocated/MozillaFirebird) That should put the entry to start MozillaFirebird on your program list under Networking--WWW.

Check http://texturizer.net/firebird/faq.html for more helpful info.

Hope this helps you get it going. It is a nice program.