Freshen or Upgrade files?

kmack

I want to reinstall xfsprogs to see if I can beat an irritating xfs crash that pops up now and then.

My questions are: :oops:

Is it best to use the command: rpm -Fvh <package name> ?

-- or --

should I use rpm -Uvh <package name> ?

-- and--

Should I also add "--allfiles" option? or is "--replacefiles" a better option for doing the overwrites?

I am not real clear after reading the rpm man page. What I want to do is overwrite the current files to take care of a possible corrupt file that I think might be the source of my xfs problem.

Or is there a way to use urpmi to do this?

Preparing to take a leap into the unknown... :roll: Once again... I breathlessly await your input! :wink:

I would use the "replace" switch on rpm. That way it will be sure and reinstall all of it. Urpmi has a switch for this as well, but I'm suffering at work at the moment. As root do a urpmi --help and I think you will find the switch on the list.

Thanks for the input so far! I'm still chewing on this a bit and re-reading the man pages and help files. Eventually, I'll just backup my /home files and bite the bullet and try one of them. Might play it safe and do a --test first though. :lol:

Whatz Aru advise? :)

Guest Kormac

If you do try cooker I'd advice to rebuild SRPMS (source rpms) rather than installing the pre-compiled. This should save you installing too many potentially unstable packages this may depend on.

Glad I decided to do a bit more chewing on this and re-reading of the man pages, etc. Originally I did some googling and searched for help with a xfs (as in x FONT SERVER) problem. I didn't even think of the confusion with the XFS filesystem since I never have run that system.

Several sources (including the XFree86 site) had references to reinstalling xfsprogs so being a noobish kind of user, I figured that seemed to be the solution that worked for many people so I should do a reinstall of xfsprogs. DUH>>>> Glad I read on! Lesson Learned!

Got real wierd when I did a:

[root@localhost kelly]# rpm -q xfs

package xfs is not installed

then a:

[root@localhost kelly]# service xfs status

xfs (pid 1202) is running...

That was my first clue that I did not know what I was doing. (well, maybe not my first clue :wink:) After I did some urpmf & urpmq checking and found out which is which, I am going back to the drawing board and rethink this whole thing. I'll probably make a new post with some specifics of what my xfs (x font server) is doing. But I am going to keep digging on this first. :oops:

Thanks for all your good input on rpm options for reinstall. You all helped me confirm a couple ways to do reinstalls... that is progress! :)