rpmdrake - urpmi: I'd like to use CD-Images on my HD

PeterPanic

Hi all!

(I'm new here, searched, but didn't find... but I guess this is a repost... Sorry...)

This is a question on rpmdrake/urpmi under MDK 9.0:

I did a dd and mount to get my 3 Installation CDs to images on my hd and mount them. Now I can access the file systems correctly on my local hd without having to insert the CDs.

Problem: How do I make the MCC-Installer forget the CDs and use the HD-Paths instead? The software sources manager doesn't have any manpage/help as far as I see. I'm a half-newbie and don't really know what I'm doing with those "URL's" and "Synthesis or HD-List" files and cz thingies... (shame on me...)

While trying to configure this i deleted one source and tried to restore it to the original settings (which I wrote down) but the GUI tells me it can't update the source and will disable it... Is this a bug?

I hope someone did this before and wants to help me.

thanks, ciao,

Peter

Welcome to our board!

Well, with the GUI, you would delete the CD sources from your list using the package manager and then add the new directories as sources.

If you feel like using the commandline, enter

# urpmi.removemedia Installation CD 1 (x86)

and repeat the process for the other two cds and then:

urpmi.addmedia whatever path/to/cd1

and again, repeat for the other two cds.

Now you have them as urpmi sources (or you should at least). You might want to add some online sources such as texstar, contrib and main, check out the 'easy urpmi' post in Tips and Tricks. You can also man urpmi (the package manager in mandrake is just a GUI for urpmi).

The hdlists do not have to be specified for local sources.

or, you could just make ISO images (eroaster does this well, k3b might too) and mount them to /mnt/cdrom when needed!

as root:

mount -o loop /path/to/iso/name.iso /mnt/cdrom

:D

this is because (if memory serves) the software manager is just pointed to /mnt/cdrom so if the iso images are mounted there, as far as it knows that's the CD.

First thing you need to do, if you don't want to mount the iso images, is copy the /RPMS folder off of each cd to a place on your hd (either all in the same folder, or all in different folders, doesn't really matter) Then you need to type

genhdlist /RPM

This is assuming that you put them in /RPM, if not, replace that with the correct folder name. Repeat if necessary for each folder. This will give you the hdlist.cz and systhesis.hdlist.cz

Then switch to root and remove the cd's from your software sources manager. Forgot how to do this from the command line, but you can open the Software Sources Manager by going K Menu (or Gnome, don't think it matters) -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Software Sources Manager

After you remove the cd's (all of them) then open a console and type (still as root)

urpmi.addmedia namegoeshere file://path/to/your/RPMS with hdlist.cz

After that, you are all set. urpmi will now look for the files on the hd instead of looking for the cd. This works great, I use it on my laptop.

I do what tyme suggested too; I actually gave away my last copy of the cd's, and still have the .iso's.

The advantage of having the iso's instead of the RPMS folders on your harddrive is that you can burn them whenever required/requested (hey, think about spreading the word,... ehm,.. distro, okay! ;) ).

Of course if you have enough diskspace, you could still have the iso's and also the folders with all RPMS ... but then again who ever has enough diskspace... (I have 1x46GB+120GB and 1x60GB+120GB, but still,... I don't want to do things double, and you do save 1.5GB this way.. :D )

Just check when you use urpmi where it asks you to insert the disc, /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom2 or whatever, then mount the iso to that point.

• 1 month later...