install Evolution 1.4.3 on Mandrake 9.1

Guest brkumar

Guest brkumar

I use gnome as a default desktop on my mandrake box. As everyone knows the default evolution is old and takes a lot of time to load. So, I decided to upgrade the evolution to 1.4.3 from http://ximian.orst.edu/ximian-evolution/.

There are two issues I faced while upgrading. One about gpg signature not available (could'nt find the location to get the ximian sigs). Another about these packages not having the uninstall scripts (These are essential for future upgradability).

So, here are my issues. Anyone knows where can I pick a evolution for gnome env. with a valiad gpg signature and an uninstall script. Any HELP greatly appriciated.

-- Mandrake Newbie

there is an RPM somewhere that works...I know, I installed...now which server was that on....

ok, well, before we get into that, let's talk about the gpg signature.

the reason the sig wasn't valid was because you don't have the corresponding key installed on your system. you'll run into this a lot with RPMs, and if you want this message NOT to come up you'll have to go find the GPG key for said RPM (if it even exists.)

ok, well, i found version 1.4.0 but no version 1.4.3 yet, it's in here: http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...drake/9.1/rpms/

i'll hunt around and if i find a 1.4.3 i'll let you know :) (though I won't be able to test it for another 7 or so hours)

Guest brkumar

My experience has so far been texstar releses are KDE oriented. I am trying to avoid using KDE as I prefer using GNOME both on my office workstation (Solaris) and in my home on the mandrake box.

As you given in the link this is an official release by Ximian folks. I just thought that the software packaging would be a bit more proffessional than what's avbl. on thier mirror site.

BTW, any help is still appreciated

-- mandrake newbie + 1

erm...evolution is gnome/gtk based, it will never require or make any use of KDE or any of KDE's libraries. it doesn't matter who builds the RPM, it's still the same program, from the same code. it can't take a program based on gnome/gtk and make it need KDE. besides, i don't have anything KDE installed on my systerm and this RPM worked just fine.

i'll continute my search for a good 1.4.3 RPM.