Updating official Mandriva repositories [solved]

yossarian

Hi all,

Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is a (excellent, IMHO) open-source support vector graphics software.

Version 0.45 is available in Main Official repositories, while version 0.46 is available in Main Backports repositories. In their official site, Inkscape publishes 0.46 as their latest stable version.

Does anyone know why it is in Backports? Should I bring it up in the official Mandriva forums, or maybe send a bug report?

[i'm not sure this is the right forums for this topic; if not, feel free to move it.]

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by yossarian

IIRC, inkscape was at version 0.45 when Mandriva 2008.1 was released, thus 0.46 was never an official part of 2008.1. That's why 0.46 is in backports, where it belongs.

OK, then that brings another question.

When Mandriva 2008.1 was released, FF was in version, say, 2.0.0.12. Today we're in 2.0.0.16. So what is the difference? And why aren't the repositories loaded with FF 3? And let's assume I'm updating to FF 3 from Backports and then update to MDV 2009.0, where FF 3 will probably be in Official, won't it mess up my system?

Sorry for falling on you like that, it's just my curiosity to understand better how things work.

When Mandriva 2008.1 was released, FF was in version, say, 2.0.0.12. Today we're in 2.0.0.16.
It has to do with the version-ing scheme. 2.0.0.12-2.0.0.16 is a minor version update, containing bug/security fixes but not new features. FF3 is a major version update, bringing new features, etc. Inkscape does it's version-ing different, 0.45-0.46 was a major version update, bringing new features.

Major version updates since release of a given distribution version (i.e. 2008.1) go into backports. Minor version updates go into the regular repositories.

And let's assume I'm updating to FF 3 from Backports and then update to MDV 2009.0, where FF 3 will probably be in Official, won't it mess up my system?
Why would it? It's still the same program, and even the same version.

There are many packages in Mandriva that are built (compiled) against the Firefox2.xx version it was released with. The Firefox 3 package in backports is compiled without anything else being built against it. So you can have them both installed without any problems, and use whichever one you like.

As long as you keep both versions installed, until Mandriva releases Firefox 3 to main with updates or the next release version, you will (or should) have no problems.

Thanks for the advice, Greg. I installed FF3 and it works.

BTW: Isn't the theme supposed to be upgraded also? In work, I saw that on Windows the back button is big and green, for example. Is it different on Linux, is it because I have FF 2 installed on the same machine, or is something wrong with me? :screwy: