limit access in SSH?

Guest quakey

Guest quakey

Hi,

I am pretty new to this...basically I just found out that I could SSH into my own linux box with any account login and password and once I am in, I can go anywhere I want, just like I am acutally using the copmuter physically.

However, I would like to limit the access. The main reason is that I created some account for my friends so they can make some web pages (I also run Apache). They could FTP or SSH into my machine. I figured out how to limit their access in FTP. But in SSH, they could go anywhere they want. I want them to only be able to access their respective home directory. How do I do that???

Thank you.[/i]

When your friends SSH into your box, they only have the same privileges as they would while sitting at the box.

Their user account is the same account used for SSH, so any limits plaed on a user will be the same whether he is sitting in front of the box or SSHing into it.

Hi,

I am pretty new to this...basically I just found out that I could SSH into my own linux box with any account login and password and once I am in, I can go anywhere I want, just like I am acutally using the copmuter physically.

However, I would like to limit the access. The main reason is that I created some account for my friends so they can make some web pages (I also run Apache). They could FTP or SSH into my machine. I figured out how to limit their access in FTP. But in SSH, they could go anywhere they want. I want them to only be able to access their respective home directory. How do I do that???

Thank you.[/i]

One thing you can do to force them to stick to the user accounts and keep them from logging in as ROOT, is to edit this line in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file;

PermitRootLogin no (Change this from yes to no or remove the # in front if it is commented out)

Cheers