Tired of taking forever to delete a directory?

static

Have you been at the command line and decided "OK directory fun/ - it's time to go" so you issue a "rm -R fun/" then had to hit 'y' for every single file in there?!?!?! That is such a long, tedious job. This doesn't happen because linux is configured that way, it happens because mandrake is configured that way. Here's how to fix it.

$ su

(Enter root password)

# vi /etc/profile.d/alias.sh

Scroll down to the aliases for cp, mv, and rm. You'll see they have aliased rm='rm -i' so that every time you type rm it asks if you're sure... OF COURSE YOU'RE SURE!! THAT'S WHY YOU TYPED IT!! Remove the -i or the whole alias and save by hitting ESC :wq

Now "rm -R fun/" = No more fun for you! Sweet!

Next time you enter a terminal it should take effect. Note I also get rid of all the ls aliases and cd aliases so that I don't get lazy and forget the real commands for when I'm on a solaris or other *nix box...

Disclaimer: static takes no responibility for people losing important configuration files or other data due to delete-crazy rampages. Use this tip wisely. Please rm responsibly.

or you could just do:

rm -Rf fun/

or press one less key and do:

rm -rf fun/

dont forget, fun with *!

rm -rf fun*

I like using this when, say, i have a zip file called fun that i unzipped and then decided I didn't want it anymore. it will get rid of the directory AND the zip file!

same disclaimer as static...

But be careful with

$ rm -rf fun*

It will delete both the directory and the zip file for fun, but it will also delete the folder named functions, an ebook named fundamentals_of_linux.pdf, etc.

Correction:

explanation: * is a wildcard.  with the command i gave, any directory OR FILE that starts with fun will be deleted.

OK so considering you could just use the "f" switch to "force" the deletion, we'll say I posted this tip to advise you to not get lazy with your *nix commands. Edit your /etc/profile.d/alias.sh so that your linux box is like any other solaris, BSD or other unix flavour to make you a more valuable employee. Yeah, that's it! Yeah! Also, now you can add your own aliases, like

alias tr="tar -czf"

to create a tar.gz file, or anything you'd like to shorten the command of. Note this is the opposite of "not getting lazy with your *nix commands" but HEY! it's your box and you can do whatcha like to!

Note disclaimer above...

Correction:
explanation: * is a wildcard.  with the command i gave, any directory OR FILE that starts with fun will be deleted.
[/i]
:oops: i'm just missing things left and right, aren't i?