Make Icons disappear from your gnome desktop!

bvc

ML9.1 through ML-10-OE and RH9

Gnome 2.2 through 2.6

Move all your icons to the center of the desktop>Open Nautilus and go to Edit then Preferences>change Icon View Defaults to 75%>Move the icons you wish to disappear to the edge of the screen (I used the rt edge)>Change the Icon View Defaults back to 100%.

GONE :!:

Edited by bvc

just don't do "clean up by name" or the damn things will come back ;-)

now if only i could find the setting to keep the cdrom and floppy icons from appearing on my desktop when it's mounted...i know it's somewhere around here *starts digging*

nope, doesn't work. it would seem that everytime it gets mounted gnome thinks it's a new icon....i think this is something mandrake may be doing behind the scenes since turning off supermount removed the original icons from my desktop. and this doesn't happen in other distro's (Gentoo, Arch, etc.)

I'm sure there was a way to turn this off. maybe i'll just turn off icons all together and see about idesk. thanks for the tryin' tho!

I use to get much better performance by not letting nautilus draw the desktop and using idesk and Esetroot. Nautilus is getting better at this....gnome 2.3.3 flys!!! So you're an unlucky one heh? I have NEVER had a supermount prob :P

i just don't like supermount, for whatever reason. i use the gnome mounter applet to mount disks ;-)

how is 2.3.3? pm me so this thread doesn't go way way way off-topic ;-)

DId you try under the Gnome Control Center, Desktop Preference, CD & DVD preferences? I don't know with Mandrakes supermount if that has been taken out so you will have to look in yours.

If it is there, there should be an option for Mount CD when insterted.