Need help with Java

gamingahole12

A few weeks ago, I installed a java rpm and my java worked just fine. Now I can´t find it again, and I´m forced to install it the hard way, from the java websites instructions, and I can´t seem to figure it out.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm

I follow all the instructions for the Linux RPM self-extracting file, and it seems to go successfully, but I just can´t get java to work on my firefox. Any of you have experience with this sort of problem?

I don't understand what you are saying? If you didn't uninstall (remove) it, it 'should' still be there. Did you upgrade Firefox?
I think he means he can't find the .rpm he originally used. The OP has an interesting nick choice though :unsure:

Why don't you just install java from the Mandriva repositories. Add them as per instructions here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tas...tions_available

Then install java from mcc. You need java-1.6.0-sun and its dependencies.

Where would I get this .sun file? And what´s mcc?

I don't understand what you are saying? If you didn't uninstall (remove) it, it 'should' still be there. Did you upgrade Firefox?

Woops, forgot to mention I wiped my hard drive. Now the RPM package I used is well...nowhere to be found.

The OP has an interesting nick choice though

Not really. Just that I´m a gamer and an asshole.

Where would I get this .sun file? And what´s mcc?

mcc is Mandriva Control Center. Type mcc from the command line to bring it up or (in KDE):

Menu

Tools

System Tools

Configure Your Computer

If you configure your repositories of software as described in the link given by medo3891, you will find the java rpm file listed from within mcc under Software Management.