The System hangs suddenly - how to avoid 'Reset' button?

Guest oberon

that's twice now you've mentioned konqueror

/me wonders if that's the problem.....

two thoughts:

1) see how long you can go without using konqueror (including KDE's file manager-since it's basically konqueror).

2) switch to gnome for a while, use galeon or mozilla. see if the problem persists.

something is telling me it's got something to do with your previous internet problem..........

Guest oberon

Just a new interesting name for me :)

I had the same kind of things in GNOME, using Galeon, and not only when browsing the Internet, but also doing all kinds of things. You cannot imagine how many attempts I did! With Konqueror it was two last times, slightly annoying because both times I tried to post a message here, saying that everything is OK! :?

But, there is an impression that this happens more often when I am doing something as root (in the MCC) or browsing the Internet (may be only because these are the things I most often do at this stage of my quest ) :) .

Right now I am under Red Hat 9 (while wating for the updates image ) :wink: . So far so good...

oh, yeah, the updates image is up....not sure where anon put it and can't check at work (ftp is not permitted) but look for MandrakeUpdates.iso

the readme is still not the best, but it should work :)

Guest oberon

Here I am again :)

After some rest with Red Hat trying again to revive Mandrake.

Updates didn't change the situation. The system continued to hang up now and then, and I had to reinstall it again and again, so I can do this with closed eyes now :)

And, although just reinstalling is already a great fun by itself, I also wanted to do something else - like to explore the different parts of Mandrake.

Today I decided that if my hangups were caused by network problems, there should be no hangups if the networking will be not set up at all. So I installed Mandrake again, leaving Internet connection inactive. I was happily doing all kinds of things for more than an hour, but then it hanged, as usually. At that moment I was choosing a background for the folders contents in file manager.

My next idea was that I am installing too much of different software: office, internet, documentation, command line, development, web server, database... So there might be a conflict between some of the processes behind the scene.

My next attempt (which continues now) is to make a default installation (just office and internet) and if I'll need something more, I'll install it later.

So far so good.

Just as an aside, I found that after press ALT-SYSREQ-i that the Nvidia drivers tend to spring to life again and start accessing the disk. That's why I like to issue an extra ALT-SYSREQ-s after both the ALT-SYSREQ-i and ALT-SYSREQ-e sequences. This generally prevents an unclean umount of the filesystem.

Glitz.

Question: how were things under RH?

Some of what you describe reminds me of hardware problems, bad ram or so.

If I overclock my system (too far), I get a lot of segfaults with kde apps (since I use them; would get gnome segfaults if I'd be using those).

While you're in the bios, make sure you set up everything to most conservative/default.

Remember, maybe RH doesn't have these problems, but RH was compiled with different options, so it may or may not be sensitive to certain settings in the bios....

To check your ram, use memtest86 (or something like that), it adds itself into your bootloader, and you run it instead of booting your system.

Guest Page 6

This isn't a solution to the problem, since other OS' work fine, but your lockups sound suspiciously like a hardware problem. Basically its ok, but then a sudden surge in processing sets it off -- like faulty RAM, or an overheating CPU.

Again, I understand that it only happens with Mandrake, but I thought I'd throw the thought out. Hmmm... made some cappucino while I was editing this, and aRtee said the same thing :)

I almost posted earlier that this reminded me of a memory problem that I had when I built this computer about a year ago. It ran just fine with Win 98SE, but Mandrake acted wierd and intermittent. I never could figure out what triggered the problems. It would just crash with no warning. I ran mem86 and other software testers and everything seemed ok.

In the end, I solved the wierd problems by pulling ram down to one card and running on a single card. I then swapped cards one at a time until I found a card that didn't want to boot properly. (3 mem cards here) After a couple reinsertions of the card, it was clear that that particular card did not want to work in Mdk. On the Abit mobo site a few others indicated that they found Linux a bit more touchy than Windoze with ram mismatches, etc. I got a warranty replacement from Crucial and haven't had wierd ghosty problems since. Might be worth a check.

Guest oberon

AHA! While I was boasting of my success, I've got another hangup, and, as usual in the end of a long message which was supposed to be posted under 'Another Linux Distributions' :(

So I know what you are writing about - this wasn't the decision :oops: .

Yes, I guess it can be a memory related problem. Some time ago, before installing any Linux I brought my computer to a local computer shop to upgrade RAM to 512M since Java programming IDEs didn't like to work in 256M.

I didn't do this myself since I am very talented with hardware :? . One day just looking inside of the computer out of curiosity I broke down some of its on-board chips. And it was in the years when everything was MUCH more expencive than now... Sinse then I prefer not to touch my computer's intestines as far as this possible.

But partly because of this I didn't perform any tricks such as overclocking. However, the guy in the shop told me that he had to upgrade BIOS because otherwise it didn't see extra memory. So there might still be some problem.

But could you please tell me in more details what is memtest86, where to get it and how to use it?

Thank you, Glitz, I'll try this next time.

And, yes, to answer the question of aRTee. Under RH everything was fine, in terms of stability. There are other things about which I will probably write under 'other distributions', but no unexpected hangups. However it hanged once - when I was setting up KDevelop for the first time, working in Gnome. There is a stage in that wizard when it proposes to index all the documentation. When I pressed the 'Index' button, the system hanged. After this, I just passed this stage without indexing, and everything was fine.

The differences of hangup under RH were the following: it didn't react 'skinny elephants' trick at all. I had to use 'reset'. When loading it proposed tp check file system integrity (or something like that - when it counts upto 5 waiting for 'y' input). If I pressed 'y' under Mandrake in such a situation, it found some errors, corrected them an as a result, X couldn't start.

Red Had checked the file system but didn't find any errors, so that I could continue to work without any problems - and this was after 'reset'!.

urpmi memtest86

or you can start the mandrake control center - software - install, then search for memtest, and install it.

It is a standalone program, that normally should put itself in the bootmenu.

Then after a reboot (hey, a reboot, sometimes linux needs them... ;) ) you can select it and test your system.

Guest oberon

I tried memtest86. It made 2 passes in 3 hours, found no errors, after that I escaped - it was too late, 3 a.m. I don't know, how many passes it would make on its own. Should I try again?

I'd say that is a pretty fair test and probably tells you that in that sense the memory is OK.

I had similar results, ran it even longer, but in the end I still had a bad memory card as far as Mandrake was concerned. I tried another couple mem test packages too. Software mem tests will detect some errors, but I learned by experience that they are not infallible.

Get some rest... this stuff can give you a headache. :roll: It will look better after you wake up and your mind is clearer.

Guest oberon

It gets warmer, I hope. I found a problem like mine in MandrakeExpert archives (the expert who worked with me was unable to solve my problem). In that case it was advised to use instead of nvidia driver the generic vesa driver. So I'll make a search in this forum's archives and then maybe will post a question in the Hardware forum...

Thanks, guys!

Guest oberon

Just to close this thread: the problem was in nvidia driver, which was installed with my PowerPack. Installation of the newest nvidia driver didn't change anything. But with generic 'nv' driver my system works good enough for my purposes.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me!