Apache and Webpages

FX

Started up apache with webmin. From what I understood I could create a "root" folder so I did. /home/myname/htdocs. I put a test page in there and I still get the default Apache test page. So where do I change this and how do I load my own website?

Thanks ahead of time.

FX

by default when you go to your system int a browser it shows the root folder of apache....which I can't remember where it's at in red hat (i know you're using red hat from another thread) but there should be an option to specify it in webmin for apache.

however, to get the test page you've created to show up, try: http://127.0.0.1/~yourname (as long as the test page is world readable and named index.html, also the htdocs dir should be world readable).

That apache test page is in /var/www/html

The file is called index.shtml

Which is where i recomend you put your web pages ( although you can put them elswhere)

Red Hat might use a different directory........*grabs his extra drive for his work computer with red hat installed and reboots, unplugging the network cord...*

i'll see if i can find you an answer.

Even though I use RH this is why I post here more than anywhere else. The peeps here are nicer and seem a little more willing to give ya a hand. I've had a post at another board for awhile now about webmin and sendmail, be able to send and not recieve. (pop) and it hasn't even been answered once I don't think. By the way Im still working on that one too. ;)

Starting to think maybe I should just get one thing going first before moving onto other things. :lol:

FX

ok! it looks like the page your seeing is in /var/www/manual/somecrapthatdoesn'tmatter

but, if you put an index.html file in /var/www/html as anon suspected, it should show up instead of the other file that is currently showing up.

if it doesn't, well, i'll have to try to remember where exactly that file is :-( but putting index.html in /var/www/html should work.