Mandrake Update doesn't see any updates for a fresh install

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

Hello everyone!

Just managed to connect to the Internet and the first thing I tried after that is to install updates. However, Mandrake Update, after connecting to any mirror, produces the following text: "The list of updates is void. This means that either there is no available update for the packages installed on your computer, or you already installed all of them".

However during the next installation (something hanged up again and I had to hit 'Restart' button) I tried to update DURING the installation. The system connected to a mirror and said that I have to download 427M of updates, and all of them are compulsory.

I tried to download those updates but with every mirror from the list it finally came to "An error occured. Timeout" message, sometimes after a period of successful downloading.

I found the updates ISO at ftp.mandrakeusers.com and trying to download it now. If I'll succeed, can it help me? Well, I know how to burn the CD, but how to use it after that to update?

Thanks!

Hey, you have DSL .... Well done...

You need to add the CD to your urpmi sources.

I can't remember EXACTLY right now...

But what you should also do is add the plf and texstar mirrors.

The easiest way to do this is:

Go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ and follow the instructions.

You can also add their GPG key:

lynx -source http://plf.zarb.org/plf.asc | gpg --import

and the same for texstar....

http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut.../gpgkey/pubring

It sounds like you had a problem with the mirrors or your connection during install. You can do it later via the UPDATE icon in packages in the MCC too.

To add the CD hdlist to urmpi you'll see the syntax on the easy urpmi :-)

Good luck and well done with the DSL....

oberon: glad someone might get use out of my updates CD! however, it's about a week old. i need to update the...erm...updates...cd.

it has a README file included in the ISO, however it's rather general. tonight I will sit down and write up a better readme (I would give you directions now but I'm not at my Linux system-at work), update the ISO, and by tomorrow there should be a fresh, updated ISO with exact directions in the README file which is included in the ISO.

plf and texstar have unnofficial updates and also some programs not included in Mandrake. The Contrib sources are also a nice thing to add. none of these are included in my updates CD, it'll only include the official mandrake updates.

Guest oberon

Great, thank you!

So I cancelled my download now, anyway it was going to last until tomorrow (this is the local DSL!).

I'll try to find my way with plf and texstar also, but right now I know too litle on the subject, my system crashes too often and some of the basic facilities don't work properly, so first of all I want to do the basic updates.

And will wait for the 'Updated Updates CD'! :)

Guest oberon

I am afraid I am starting to hate this. A hundred of reinstallations. Stupid problems. Well, here is the report of my next attempt to stay with ML.

I downloaded the updates ISO and burned the disk. Made a fresh installation. Tried to install updates. Failure. Tried to write a message to this forum. Hang up in the very middle of it. Rebooted via skinny elephants into Windows again and here I am.

This is how i tried to use the updates CD:

Opened Mandrake Update. Connected to a mirror. Received, as before, the stupid message that everything is already updated.

There is no *Cancel* button, so I just closed the window and opened the Software Sources Manager.

There was no "update_sourse" there. I tried to add it. But firther it didn't work as you describe in 'readme'.

OK, only now I realized that when entering it myself I entered only removable://mnt/cdrom/, without 'RPMs' in the end. So I'll go now and try to add RPMs...

oberon: there's another way to work it, and probably a better way. name the source for the cd whatever you want, open the softwrare install part, tick the "all packages" and change the field beside it to say "by update availability" and then, if there's an "upgradeable" (or similarly named) list open it up/expand it by clicking on the arrow, and then you should be able to tick off what you want to install and click install.

secondly: at the end of the install, did you tell it to look for updates?

p.s.-i'm still working on the directions for the CD. this is only the second version i've released, and in my mind it's still "beta" ;-)

Guest oberon

OK, I'll try this in the morning, after the next reinstallation :twisted:. It is 3:30 am here now :shock:.

secondly: at the end of the install, did you tell it to look for updates?

I tried this many times (see my original message in this thread), but now

I think this will not work in any case. Look, they admit in the MandrakeClub that those default mirrors are hopelessly overloaded. And here is one bad thing about Mandrake: I cannot choose to update juct a few things. If it decided to download 420+M of updates - that's it, either take them or don't update at all. And I'd prefer to update just RpmDrake, to try to make it working after the installation.

Another bad thing about how everything is done in Mandrake is that, being a MandrakeClub member (one month subscription that came with the box) I have an access to the list of mirrors which are supposed to be better. But what I could do with this list if I am unable to change the mirrors during the installation and Mandrake Update which I am getting after the installation doesn't work at all.

Sorry to say this, but for me, everything about Mandrake is so unreasoned... Or maybe I am just very tired from trying to make it working :evil: .

i only asked the question about the updates because that would explain why no updates are being found. but since you didn't use that feature, then that doesn't explain it ;-)

Guest oberon

Sorry, I don't understand this. I'll repeat.

I tried to use this feature several times, at day and at night. I tried ALL the mirrors available in the list during installation's update opportunity. And in all the cases the result was "An error occured. Timeout".

With some mirrors, I received it immediately. With another ones I started download, and it seemed to go successfully, but after a minute, or sometimes after 20 minutes I received the same error message.

However, the need of update was defined when I tried to update during installation (more than 420M of updates were found). But after the installation was completed, the result of running Mandrake Update was only one:

"The list of updates is void. This means that either there is no available update for the packages installed on your computer, or you already installed all of them".

:evil:

Guest oberon

thank you, tyme, I installed the updates according to your instructions and looking aroun now, testing this and that. If you see this message means I didn't hang at least while writing it which is already good.

later, I'll report the results of my checks

w00t! my cd worked for someone! *jumps around in happiness*

anyways, whether or not it fixes your problem is another story, but i guess only time will tell on that one ;-)

Guest oberon

The end of this story is that Mandrake went to a drawer and I go with Red Hat from here.

I installed 353M of updates from the disk, so I figured out there should be more updates for my system and went to check if anything available on those mirrors. The result was the same as previously - no updates. So I suspected that Mandrake Update could still not work, despite the updates.

I went to the Internet and tried to write a message. As previously, in the middle of it the system hanged. That was too much for me. I put everything into the box in which it came and took it away.

Maybe just my computer's intestines don't like French food, I don't know. I installed RH9, updated it in half an hour through Red Hat Network (for free) and now working in it.

Thank you, tyme, thanks to everyone who helped me, I've got a lot of knowledge here - and I hope you won't mind to help a RH user another day... :)

oberon: this boad is distro-neutral really. although it's intended audience is Mandrake users, and the majority of it's population use Mandrake, we help anyone who comes by with a question. Hence the "Other Linux Distributions" forum :)

you need help, we'll be here ;-) (hell, it's not like we have anywhere else to go)

although I still want to figure out why Mandrake was acting odd on your computer...I know RH is working fine for you, but I have this horrible nack of always wanting to fix problems :twisted: guess I'm stubborn! oh well, as long as some linux distro is running on your system, I'm happy :)

Guest oberon
I have this horrible nack of always wanting to fix problems

I know this feeling and I am unhappy leaving Mandrake. But the fact is that there are no any ideas at all how to make it working. May be one day I'll return to it... When I will no more about Linux. But when I have to reinstall the system after each session isn't a good opportunity for learning.